iPhone Synchronisation

Reaction score
Why does my MacBook's iTunes tell me I cannot sync my iPhone because my computer is not authorized when it also tells me that my computer is one of the 5 that is so authorized?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't provide us any details but I believe you're asking about two different authorizations. The 5 are authorized computers that iTunes recognizes so that you can download music and apps. The other authorization is for your iPhone to be able to sync to a specific computer.

OP
M
Reaction score
"The iPhone "xxxxxx" could not be synced because the computer is no longer authorized for purchased items that are no this iPhone. To authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes Store, choose Store > Authorize This Computer"

AND

"This computer is already authorised. Including this one, you have 4 computers out of your available 5"

WHY?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using the same Apple ID for all your purchases? If you are, it sounds like iTunes is confused over which computers you own that are authorized.

OP
M
Reaction score
The MacBook's iTunes did ask me for my Mac ID password, which I do not normally have to do when syncing.

Maybe I should log out of my Mac ID on both the MacBook and the iPhone and log back in making sure I've got the same ID on both.

I'm not sure WHY I have to do this though. I have not changed any settings to the best of my knowledge. I might have updated the IOS within the past couple of days...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
The MacBook's iTunes did ask me for my Mac ID password, which I do not normally have to do when syncing.

Maybe I should log out of my Mac ID on both the MacBook and the iPhone and log back in making sure I've got the same ID on both.

I'm not sure WHY I have to do this though. I have not changed any settings to the best of my knowledge. I might have updated the IOS within the past couple of days...

DO check the ID thing. I recently changed the email address for my Apple ID and forgot to change it in a lot of places. Caused an issue like the one you're having now, until I resigned myself into everything (and I mean EVERYTHING: iTunes on all devices, iCloud on my various devices, my iPad itself, the Mac, everything).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.