Solitaire... can I get it for Mac?

L

Left Face Down

Ok, now you're all going to think this is stupid but my Grandma lives on Solitaire. Simply put, she needs a new computer and with me seriously concidering a Mac for my next laptop I offered to my mother and sorta explained to her the differences between the two OS. I'll just get her a mighty-mouse (well any USB two button mouse) so she's not totally thrown off by no-right clicking. If I can get her into solitaire and internet (I'll put them on the Dock) then it's golden. It's cheap, going for a bottom of the line Mac Mini. It runs solitaire, it runs internet... it doesn't need that much care and has quality parts. It's great!

Getting to the point, can I find the games that Windows normally comes with for Mac? Believe it or not, my Grandma probably would say no to a Mac simply because it doesn't have solitaire.

// Edit

ok, another easy question which is a no brainer. Yes or no, can I buy any monitor to go with the Mac Mini? Pending of course that it has the correct connections and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
Left Face Down said:
Ok, now you're all going to think this is stupid but my Grandma lives on Solitaire. Simply put, she needs a new computer and with me seriously concidering a Mac for my next laptop I offered to my mother and sorta explained to her the differences between the two OS. I'll just get her a mighty-mouse (well any USB two button mouse) so she's not totally thrown off by no-right clicking. If I can get her into solitaire and internet (I'll put them on the Dock) then it's golden. It's cheap, going for a bottom of the line Mac Mini. It runs solitaire, it runs internet... it doesn't need that much care and has quality parts. It's great!

Getting to the point, can I find the games that Windows normally comes with for Mac? Believe it or not, my Grandma probably would say no to a Mac simply because it doesn't have solitaire.

// Edit

ok, another easy question which is a no brainer. Yes or no, can I buy any monitor to go with the Mac Mini? Pending of course that it has the correct connections and such.

and dvi or vga monitor will work w/ the mini--it comes with a dvi --> vga adapter. Solitaire, my stepdad, has a 20buck game, the burning monkey, but freeware will work fine.

Here's a link to a freeware one (among other simple games) [link]http://www.macgamesandmore.com/downloadfreemacboardgames.html [/link]

Tell us if your grandma likes the mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Here is a great solitaire game for Macs http://lavacat.com/

And yes, you can use any monitor with the Mini, but you WILL need a USB keyboard and mouse.

OP
L

Left Face Down

Thanks a lot, I figured that with the monitors just had to make sure. We probably wont be purchasing until this summer though.

I must say, Mac computers are growing on me the more I mess around with them in store. I don't see why people have this issues they have though like that there is no right click on the mouse. I only understand that issue with people like my grandmother who is in her mid-80s and for the majority of her life never used a computer.

Benjamindaines said:
And yes, you can use any monitor with the Mini, but you WILL need a USB keyboard and mouse.

I'm just getting a wired keyboard and mightmouse with the Mac-Mini. I mean, this isn't official but PC computers have just been constantly going down in quality. I need something that'll last my Grandma the next 5-10 years. The custom built PC she uses now is historic and 9 years old. It runs and does what she wants, granted at a snails pace. So I want something that still does what she wants, but in a reasonable time frame.

Reaction score
i have the wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. i think you may as well just spend the extra money and get those because if you buy it at the same time as the mac mini i think its only like 20 bucks more than the wired stuff and its sooo sexy. lol. alright, good luck buddy

OP
L

Left Face Down

RiseAbove24 said:
i have the wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. i think you may as well just spend the extra money and get those because if you buy it at the same time as the mac mini i think its only like 20 bucks more than the wired stuff and its sooo sexy. lol. alright, good luck buddy

Probably a stupid question, but is the wireless mouse a mighty mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Left Face Down said:
Probably a stupid question, but is the wireless mouse a mighty mouse?
No, but a wireless mighty mouse is coming soon (I've seen leaked pictures)

OP
L

Left Face Down

Benjamindaines said:
No, but a wireless mighty mouse is coming soon (I've seen leaked pictures)

Alright, well my grandmother hardly understands Windows 98' past how to get to solitaire and how to get to the internet (links on the desktop actually). Past that, she knows how to turn the computer off through the start menu.

A one button mouse right now would fry her brain. She's senile enough at her ripe old age.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Left Face Down said:
A one button mouse right now would fry her brain. She's senile enough at her ripe old age.
I don't think you're going to want to explain the touch sensitivity of the mighty mouse either... I suggest getting a logitech or some other 3rd party brand.

OP
L

Left Face Down

Benjamindaines said:
I don't think you're going to want to explain the touch sensitivity of the mighty mouse either... I suggest getting a logitech or some other 3rd party brand.

Alright, thanks for the tip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.