iPages - font is purple instead of black : (

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used iMac, and installed my purchased copy of iWorks on it. When I open a blank iPages page the cursor is missing and the font types in white, which can't be seen, until I highlight all text and try to change it to black, in which case the font shows up as purple...:'( Other items show up as black, like on the internet, or text edit, so I know there is nothing wrong with the monitor. It just seems to be some glitch with iWorks. On my old computer it worked fine... I tried throwing iWorks away, and installing with disk again, but it does the same thing. It is iWork '08 but I don't want to purchase a newer version because I really don't use it that much...

:Confused:
I really don't understand why I can't get the font to be black, and can't get the cursor to show up. : ( any ideas????????

I am using OS X version 10.9.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
G'day and welcome to the forums.

iWork '08' is a very old version, and is now 8 yrs old and meant for 10.4 when we are now 10.10.
IMHO I would fork out the $19.99 USD for Pages, and be done with it. I reckon you have compatibility issues with it.
You can if you want sign into iCloud and use the Pages Web App there and save the document to the cloud and pick it up from your Mac. It is very capable and works very well.
If not for $19.99 you have the best word processing App out there, for ease of use and the UX.
OR you buy a new Mac and get it all for free :)
HTH

OP
W
Reaction score
as little as I use a word processor... I'll just use text edit if I want to see black. lol I'm not going to spend $20 on something, just to have to re buy a newer version in another 8 years that I won't use very much either.... I believe in buying one cast iron skillet... It'll last your whole life, and then you can pass it on to your kids.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
iWorks '08 Pages may be old, but I dare say is probably still better and can do more than the latest Pages 5.x versions. And I could do more than either using AppleWorks!!

Anyway, there are a few hit's to look at with the exact same problem as the OP is having with a google search like:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=K33_VMGNBIrt8weTjYCIDg

and a top hit with maybe a suggestion at:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4297857

but check some of the other google hits. One should have a solution that works.

And even the same problem right here, and as suggested, check for any update:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...ork-pages-text-all-showinp-up-just-white.html

or this:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=848878

and definitely here: and I'll quit adding edits now… ;)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1414709

Last edited:
OP
W
Reaction score
I LOVED AppleWorks too!

thank you! I think that is the problem, as I am running 3.0.1 and they say 3.0.3 solves compatibility issues... now just to wait for satellite to speed up so I can download it!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
.... I believe in buying one cast iron skillet... It'll last your whole life, and then you can pass it on to your kids.

This may be a great strategy for "pots & pans"…but it ain't going to work very well for computers!;)

If you had an original 1984 Mac computer…with this logic…you would have a VERY difficult time getting on & using the internet!;)

Also in 2015 (or 5, 10 , 15, or more years from now). Try giving those kids a 1984 computer…and just see how excited they get (not very excited)!:(

Bottom line. That logic may work for pots & pans. But not computers!:)

- Nick

p.s. I wanted to add that I'm a big fan of older hardware & older software. So I have no problems getting as much "mileage" out of our computer purchases as possible. But eventually we need to update/upgrade our equipment (hardware & software). Many times this is not a choice…it is mandatory. And this is where the "one-time purchase of pots & pans that we can hand down to our kids" logic just doesn't work for computers.;)

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
iWorks '08 Pages may be old, but I dare say is probably still better and can do more than the latest Pages 5.x versions.

Sadly you're right. I actually still have my iWork08 disk and serial number but it barfed when I tried to install it in Mavericks. Your last link from Mac Rumors looks like it fixes it. However, when I purchased the new iMac the latest versions of Pages, Keynote, and Numbers were included. I may give it another go with Yosemite and use the fixes from Mac Rumors. I also have Mac Office 2011 which is a must for my part time work and I recently downloaded the 2016 Mac Office Preview to test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I thought I had come across iWork '08 and its Pages working with Mavericks, but I guess not when roaring apps says Lion and ML only, but they have no other supporting data.
Application compatibility table - RoaringApps

I blew all my iWork '08 stuff away and just kept iWork '09. And then keep trying the later Pages 5.x and it's compatible versions hoping it may magical improve or something. I'm still trying and waiting. ;)

And my old Microsoft Office 2008 still works for the little I use it, but it's still sitting on my SL partition and didn't migrate or install it on my Mavericks partition. Not going or bothering with Yosemite, and I don't need any of it, or any of its problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.