Back up programs

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro
I have 2+ TBs of images stored on a Drobo 5D. About 75% of these are made up of my Aperture Libraries which are now completely static. 6 months ago I decided to switch to LR5 and have processed all new images in LR. Monthly I back up these folders to a second EHD which is then stored at another location.
Over the past 5 days I have copied all my NEF images from Aperture into LR folders so I can access/work them from either program. However I now have a much larger monthly backup to the 2nd EHD.
Is there a program that will speed the transfer from Drobo to EHD2 by just updating what has been added/subtracted from the previous months work? (As opposed to just transferring the entire current LR collection.)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Several programs should do well for that task. Look for either a folder synchronization program (several in the App Store) or a backup program that supports incremental backups. I believe the paid versions of Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper do this.

Our Unix geeky contingent can probably suggest a command line alternative as well.

OP
S

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro
Thanks.
Will Super Duper work with two non Mac hard drives?
I use SD to back up my iMac HD but I am not sure it will work Drobo to WD EHD.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I hadn't thought about that until you asked the question. I wasn't sure so I did a bit of research. Here's one instance of someone backing up a Drobo to an external hard drive using SuperDuper. I don't think it lists the specific steps but apparently it can be done. I haven't verified it yet but I think Carbon Copy Cloner would work as well.

OP
S

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to try "Sync Folders" from the Apple App store and see if that works. It is a pretty basic task but just a large folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.