• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Import photos into iMovie 11

Reaction score
Hi I am trying to import a specific photo into an iMovie project, a photo collection titled 2001-2003. In iPhoto I have a folder titled 2001-2003 which has 238 photos in it including the one I am trying to import. When in iMovie I click on the camera icon it opens the album 2001-2003 but it only has 174 photos. One of the many missing is the one I am trying to import.

Any idea why so many of the 238 photos in iPhoto are missing from the folder in iMovie?

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Can't think why your photos aren't showing up. I can only suggest that you drag the photo from iPhoto to the Desktop, and the drag and drop it into your iMovie Project.

OP
P
Reaction score
Can't think why your photos aren't showing up. I can only suggest that you drag the photo from iPhoto to the Desktop, and the drag and drop it into your iMovie Project.

Thanx for the suggestion MightyGem. Tried it and it did not work.

poppi

Reaction score
Step 1
Launch iPhoto on your computer. Like iMovie, iPhoto is a free application that is preinstalled on new Macs.

Step 2
Click “File” from the main iPhoto menu and click “Import to Library.”

Related Reading: How to Make a Montage With iMovie

Step 3
Click a picture to select it for import into iPhoto. Alternately, you can hold down the “Command” key and click multiple pictures to import them simultaneously.

Step 4
Click the “Import” button to import your pictures.

Step 5
Launch iMovie and double-click your video project in the Project Library to open it.

Step 6
Click the camera icon located on the right side of iMovie. The “Show or Hide Photos Browser” window appears, displaying the contents of your iPhoto Library, including the pictures you imported in Steps 4 and 5.

Step 7
Drag your pictures into your project’s timeline and edit them as needed.

OP
P
Reaction score
Step 1
Launch iPhoto on your computer. Like iMovie, iPhoto is a free application that is preinstalled on new Macs.

Step 2
Click “File” from the main iPhoto menu and click “Import to Library.”

Related Reading: How to Make a Montage With iMovie

Step 3
Click a picture to select it for import into iPhoto. Alternately, you can hold down the “Command” key and click multiple pictures to import them simultaneously.

Step 4
Click the “Import” button to import your pictures.

Step 5
Launch iMovie and double-click your video project in the Project Library to open it.

Step 6
Click the camera icon located on the right side of iMovie. The “Show or Hide Photos Browser” window appears, displaying the contents of your iPhoto Library, including the pictures you imported in Steps 4 and 5.

Step 7
Drag your pictures into your project’s timeline and edit them as needed.

I think there is some misunderstanding. What you suggest has already been done. Let me explain.

I am working on a photo project called 2001 - 2003 photos. Within iPhoto I have created an album titled 2001-2003 which presently has 261 photos. However, when in iMovie and I click the camera icon the album 2001-2003 contains only 185 photos. I see no difference in those present and those missing so don't know why some of them are excluded. Does this make sense?

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Thanx for the suggestion MightyGem. Tried it and it did not work.
Which bit didn't work, iPhoto to the Desktop, or Desktop to iMovie?

OP
P
Reaction score
Which bit didn't work, iPhoto to the Desktop, or Desktop to iMovie?

Glad you replied as it might provide a clue to my mystery. When I first tried your suggestion and dragged the suspect photo to the desktop it appeared there but would not drag to the iMovie project. I just tried again and pressed "Get info" for the suspect file on the desktop and got this - Kind: Unix executable file. I then dragged another non-problem photo and got this - Kind: JPEG - which is what I expected.

Looking at the two photos in iPhoto they both are labeled Kind: JPEG image.

Does this provide any clues?

Thank you

poppi

OP
P
Reaction score
Glad you replied as it might provide a clue to my mystery. When I first tried your suggestion and dragged the suspect photo to the desktop it appeared there but would not drag to the iMovie project. I just tried again and pressed "Get info" for the suspect file on the desktop and got this - Kind: Unix executable file. I then dragged another non-problem photo and got this - Kind: JPEG - which is what I expected.

Looking at the two photos in iPhoto they both are labeled Kind: JPEG image.

Does this provide any clues?

Thank you

poppi

More info - I found other photos in the iPhoto 2001-2003 album which are missing in the iPhoto album of that name. Dragging them to the desk top results in the same Unix executable file description.

poppi

OP
P
Reaction score
More info - I found other photos in the iPhoto 2001-2003 album which are missing in the iPhoto album of that name. Dragging them to the desk top results in the same Unix executable file description.

poppi

More info - I found a blurb on Unix Executable files which apparently are created when the Mac doesn't see a suffix (e.g. jpg). Based on that I added .jpg to the files on the desktop and they dragged into the project. That is a workaround but a real pain. Any idea why the jpg is not being recognized on some of the photos?

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
P
Reaction score
No, sorry. Have they all been taken by the same camera? Have all the "good" photos been taken with a different camera?

You might be better off starting a different topic for this, to attract those that wouldn't bother with iMovie topics.

Edit: this comes up in google:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=QD33VO6fH4uGUPL5gcgF

Unfortunately, most, perhaps all of the "unrecognized photos" were scanned from hard copies. That said, many more of the scanned pix do appear in the iPhoto listing within iMovie. Again, when I do find one that is a Unix and add a .jpg I can drag it into the project. It still does not appear in the iPhoto listing in iMovie though.

For what it is worth you may have hit on the problem. I am going back to the years before I had a digital camera so many of those old photos are scanned. Guess I will have to live with it for these historical (pre digital camera) projects. Thanx very much for your help

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your welcome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.