Wherein I gush about the interconnectivity of Yosemite and iOS 8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
(And yes, I've also suddenly realized I live in the 21st century; why do you ask?)

Like it says. Skimming some articles on iMore and they were talking about the Notes app. And just realized that I was doing what I needed for notes, but doing it in Pages, which is silly and far less convenient. So now I just put the hundred little notes I had scattered around Pages into Notes, and...yeah, that DOES seem more organized, doesn't it?

I realize that I'm a bit slow. Though I think a lot of my "adventures" with modernity is happening because now that I have a Mac (as of, literally, little more than 9 days), I can sync these things more easily between the iPad and my Mac. When I had my Windows machine (and after trying to use iCloud for some things, which was a disaster) I just assumed a desktop and tablet would never sync up well. And now that's not true.

Just now discovered that my bookmarks and such in Safari can be synced to my iPad. What a great day! Also, I feel like I'm playing catch-up! And here I thought I was somewhat tech savvy. :)

C

chas_m

In particular, the collaboration between Yosemite and iOS 8 is absolutely marvelous. In addition to the iCloud syncing of notes, bookmarks, dates and all that, the latest version brought Handoff and Continuity and Instant Hotspot.

While I can never remember which one is which, Handoff and Continuity are two features I didn't think would be a big deal when I read about them that have turned into a HUGE DEAL for me as an information worker. I can start writing a note or answering email on one device, realise I need to switch to the other one for whatever reason, and pick up EXACTLY where I left off. It's exceptionally handy.

And don't even get me started on how life-changing the ability to make a receive phone calls and SMS texts on my Mac has been! It's one of those things you wonder why they didn't do this years ago!

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
In particular, the collaboration between Yosemite and iOS 8 is absolutely marvelous. In addition to the iCloud syncing of notes, bookmarks, dates and all that, the latest version brought Handoff and Continuity and Instant Hotspot.

While I can never remember which one is which, Handoff and Continuity are two features I didn't think would be a big deal when I read about them that have turned into a HUGE DEAL for me as an information worker. I can start writing a note or answering email on one device, realise I need to switch to the other one for whatever reason, and pick up EXACTLY where I left off. It's exceptionally handy.

And don't even get me started on how life-changing the ability to make a receive phone calls and SMS texts on my Mac has been! It's one of those things you wonder why they didn't do this years ago!

Totally, absolutely agree. Funny thing you said, about answering calls and the like. Yesterday I was monkeying around with things, as I mentioned, and I put my mom's number in the Mac contact thingy (another thing of beauty - I can finally save email addressed phone numbers in the same place! Android wanted to do this too, but without an equivalent on the PC, I didn't do it; now, no impediment).

Accidentally clicked something and it was Face Timing her! I ended the call, then she called back! I hastily picked up my iPad to answer (I don't have a mic on my computer right now...or is there one in the Mac Mini?) and was able to receive the call on my iPad through Face Time. Truly awesome (mom and I haven't spoken in a while, as I live outside the US, so we have to plan calls accordingly).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I mentioned the need for something like Handoff and Continuity some time ago in the forum. It was very frustrating to start reading a series of threads on one device and not be able to pick up right where I left off on the other device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.