Mac Mail - How is All Mail different than Inbox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
I realize, on the surface, my question looks simple; is not!

What I mean is, when I look at the All Main folders, they look exactly the same in content as my Inbox folders. Question then is, why is it there? What is it doing? For example, in a folder I have created called "Personal" the program notes there are 83 messages. But when I scroll down, I don't see all 83. I see the first 10 or so in my Inbox folder. Why?

I like the Mail program overall, and it's really helped my workflow, but what is this "All Mail" business? I'd understand if it actually showed all my email, but it doesn't.

Mac masters, I turn to you! What is all this?

Reaction score
I'm assuming you use Gmail?
All Mail is where Google stores ALL your mail whatever box it's in. Even trashed mail until you empty it.
Mail is just echoing Gmails folder structure.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
I'm assuming you use Gmail?
All Mail is where Google stores ALL your mail whatever box it's in. Even trashed mail until you empty it.
Mail is just echoing Gmails folder structure.

Yes, Gmail it is! And I've just realized that the All Mail IS there in Gmail; I didn't notice that I've got my Gmail set up so that I only see it under the More tab. Feel a bit silly now.

If I understand it then, All Mail only shows what's in the Inbox and Sent folders, not ALL THE MAIL, which would include Trash too. Now all is clear.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.