Pop up menus

Reaction score
Just recently my Mac started producing pop ups when I left click an item, the pop ups are similar to a right click.

I am using a Mac Book Pro Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013
Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

Any Suggestions? Turning the Mac off does not help,

Thanks
George

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
OK George, first question: Are you using a mouse or the trackpad?
When you say "similar" to a right click are they exactly the same or not? If not how are they different? What options are displayed?

If you are using a mouse then I would suspect it first, if possible try a different mouse to eliminate that possibility.
If you are using the trackpad go to Trackpad preferences in System preferences and check the pref settings. Try changing a few to see what they do then change them back.

If none of that helps get back to this forum with answers to my questions above and we will move on to more complex solutions ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do these "pop ups" appear to be ads? if so, you might want to give Adware Medic a try.

OP
G
Reaction score
Pop Ups

I replaced my Apple Mouse with a standard wireless mouse and my problem is gone. I feel sure the mouse was the problem. I replaced the batteries and no change. Any suggestions on mouse repair or is it time for a new one?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

George

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well I did say I'd suspect the mouse first but as to repairing it is unlikely I think. Of course it depends on such things as how much did you pay for it and how old it is?
If for example if it was an Apple BlueTooth Magic Mouse at around $80.00 and it was only a month old you may have some luck. If on the other hand it was only a $30.00 mouse and two years old, no chance.
So perhaps it's time to get a new one as you suggest, still that is an easy fix to your problem.
PS I still prefer Wireless to BlueTooth but get a reputable brand without too many bells and whistles (unless you need bells and whistles).
Congrats on solving your problem.
Rod:D

OP
G
Reaction score
Being a retired electronic tech with about 50 years under my belt, I thought I would try to repair the Apple mouse which was quite expensive. I made the assumption that with the left and right clicks doing the same thing, it had to be a short of some kind. Of course with Apple disassembly is not easy, I was able to pry up the top piece and insert a nozzle from a compressed gas duster can, like one uses on a keyboard. I gave it several hard sots and the used the mouse. So far it operates properly.
I am not familiar with Bluetooth, but since it not have a USB receiver, I assume it is Bluetooth.
Since I do not need a USB receiver, I like this mouse. I am curious as why you prefer a Wireless mouse as opposed to the Bluetooth.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
George, it's just a personal preference. Being primarily a laptop user I bought a well known brand Bluetooth mouse a few years ago to free up a USB. Six months later it stopped scrolling so I looked at the Apple BT mouse and not only was it expensive but I did not like the shape. So I bought a Microsoft BT mouse with a scratch pad where a scroll wheel would normally be and a great shape. One year later it just died completely ie no laser. So now I have a Logitech wireless mouse which has been running flawlessly for the last year, nice shape and I have only changed batteries twice which for a heavy user is pretty good.
By the by, iFix have breakdowns on many apple devices with step by step instructions for repair which would probably be very easy for you if you still have your tools. I confine myself mostly to software although I do own a pentalobe screwdriver.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.