New Mac Convert - Why Didn't I Do This Earlier, Exactly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
Like the title says. Just bought the new entry level Mac Mini 2014 last Thursday (so, exactly, it hit the price point where I'd be willing to give mac a try). I was a long time Windows guy, and used to disparage Mac and Apple in general rather a lot until I got my iPad.

I bought an iPad last year and fell in love with it, and now it's my main "work" machine at my university (I'm a professor, so keeping all my attendance sheets, .pdfs of articles, and class notes on the iPad has done wonders for my productivity, and saved me carrying lots of stuff around). When my old Windows PC died on New Year's Eve, I sat on my money and waited. A few of my colleagues were Mac users, and said wonderful things about it.

I could have gotten a cheaper Windows thingy, but the Mac seemed to be calling me (and when Yosemite advertised it's look as "somewhat like iOS 8", I was intrigued.

Been messing with my new Mac ever since and all I can say is wow. Why didn't I switch earlier? Like, in general, I get the decisions Mac made with the OS. I get why certain commands work a certain way. I haven't had any big issues.

So, truly, I probably sound like I'm gushing hard, but I AM gushing hard. I am sooooo in love with my Mac Mini...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
"Why Didn't I Do This Earlier, Exactly?"

No way to really answer this.;) Why in life do we not do many things sooner…that we later discover was the better/smarter way of doing something??

- There's a saying that I'm familiar with. It goes…"Too Soon Old…Too Late Smart!"
- Or another way of looking at things…"If I could only be 18 again…and know everything I know now"!;)

- Nick

p.s. Or pick whatever age works best for that last statement.:)
p.p.s. Congrats on loving your Mac purchase!!!:)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
"Why Didn't I Do This Earlier, Exactly?"

No way to really answer this.;) Why in life do we not do many things sooner…that we later discover was the better/smarter way of doing something??

- There's a saying that I'm familiar with. It goes…"Too Soon Old…Too Late Smart!"
- Or another way of looking at things…"If I could only be 18 again…and know everything I know now"!;)

- Nick

p.s. Or pick whatever age works best for that last statement.:)
p.p.s. Congrats on loving your Mac purchase!!!:)

Heh, you're not wrong. I've just hit 40 as of 2 weeks ago, and there's so much I know now that I wish I knew! Why did I spend so many years scoffing at iOS and Mac?

There's a thing. The cross functionality between my iPad and my Mac is just awesome. So much easier to Airdrop pdfs for my classes, for example, than go through the multi-step Dropbox process (this is not to say Dropbox is bad; I use it heavily, it's just that Airdropping is SO much easier).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That's and easy question.

You would not have believed us and your 'friends' would have talked you out of it lol!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new gear.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's and easy question.

You would not have believed us and your 'friends' would have talked you out of it lol!

Probably sadly true. My wife almost did, until I pointed out that the connections to iPad would be ideal for my work situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
Your story is kind of like mine almost 3 years ago. I bought a second had (and old-ish even then) iPhone 3GS from a friend when I needed a cell phone before my contract was up, I fell in love with the way it worked and how awesome it was. A few months later I bricked my Acer laptop attempting an upgrade, and upon hearing of my portable computer woes and budding Mac interest, a friend of mine offered me his old PowerBook G4, I accepted and ended up using it all the time despite my much more powerful Windows PC with 2 large monitors being present...

Finally I decided that I was going to replace the aforementioned PC with a Mac mini in May of 2013 and I started backing up data and stuff to make the transition. The day I went to get the Mac, the PC came to a crashing halt. Stone dead. So my transition happened a lot faster overall than I planned and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Welcome to the Mac World!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
"If I could only be 18 again…and know everything I know now"!;)

Kind of the same sentiment that I saw scrawled on a bathroom wall at the university library many years ago: "I wish I were what I once was when I wanted to be what I am now!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.