• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

IMovie 10.0.6 and external drive

Reaction score
Hi
I have an HD Camera that I am trying to download/import movies from using iMovie 10.0.6.
I recently upgraded to the Yosemite and with that came the newest iMovie. I am trying to download the movies from my camera directly to the external hardrive using my computer. I remember doing that before I upgraded, but now can't find the way. Additionally, I am confused with my choice of places to import the movies to. It only allows me to download them to iMovie library. I have tons of movies and that is why I need to place them externally.

Is there a way for me to choose the external drive and save the movies there directly? If not, how do I transfer them from library to the external drive?

Thanx for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
I am in the same boat as you. I switched back to Mac recently since I am recording a lot of stuff with my Go Pro and I missed iMovie. I have yet to get an external drive (do you have any suggestions?).

I did find this on apples site:

iMovie '11: Copy or move a project to an external hard disk

Not sure if this will help since its iMovie 11 but hopefully its the same. I cant test since I am at work and i dont have an external drive yet.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanx for your reply.

Unfortunately, your link does not work. I found some tutorials on youtube. What it explain however is how to copy movies that already are downloaded and sit in iMovie folder and are used in a specific project. What I want however is to bypass that and by using iMovie transfer my movies from camera directly to the external drive, like I was able to do before - without space polluting my computer. Not only that... I wanna be able to decided on the file quality and size as well. I have an HD camera, so I want the files to be of the highest quality possible, so later when I will buy my bluray disk writer I will keep the HD format.

Is there any other application I can use for that purpose? iMovie drives me nuts!!! Why do they change those things around like that?

Thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Strange. Not sure why it isn't working. I clicked the link and it went to the site.

I see what you mean. the link i posted talks about what you were saying, how to move existing projects. I haven't been able to fiddle much with iMovie but i will have the same problem you do. I bought a new Macbook not realizing i couldn't change the SSD HDD myself and i only got the 256GB. My music alone is 70GB.

hopefully someone can help. Once i get an external drive I can do some digging.

Before you upgraded you mentioned it worked the way you wanted. Was it a setting you had to change that isn't available in the new iMovie or something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
That link is no good as it's for iMovie11, and not for the latest, which is iMovie 10.

I can't see that iMovie 10 gives you a choice of where to import the way that iMovie11 did. However, you can move your iMovie Library file from your Movies Folder to an external drive. Next time you start iMovie, do it while holding down the Alt key. A box will come up where you can choose that Library file. iMovie should then remember where that Library is from then on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.