Facebook crashes on Firefox w/one user, not others

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not particularly computer savvy. I do fine, but be patient.

Yesterday, Firefox crashed upon log in to Facebook. I attempted to log in several times, and the page loads, spins like it is updating, and crashes. After a few attempts, I was able to be quicker than the crash, log out, and can successfully log in and stay logged in using another Facebook login. The crashing account is working fine on other devices, as well as using Safari on this device.

I've tried to find anything suspicious in my activity log, and don't see anything. I ran adblock, just for good measure. I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox. I updated Java. The problem persists.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can access your account OK using Safari, then it's possible you have an add on or extension in Firefox that's causing the problem. Have you tried removing all extensions and add ons to Firefox or updatingt Firefox?

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I can successfully log in and navigate that facebook account using Safari on this same device (Macbook Pro). When logging in to that same account on Firefox, the page populates, appears to be updating (just the usual thing) and before it gets to the point of full update, Firefox crashes. I have verified that there is no crash when firefox is used to log in and navigate other Facebook accounts (verified using two other accounts).

I did delete and reinstall Firefox. I don't know how to locate the add on extensions, but I assume the delete/reinstall would have cleared those, right?

ETA: I should add that this is my daughter's device, and I'm concerned she may have accidentally downloaded something spammy/malware/etc, or that this particular facebook login is trying to download something unsavory, as I can't seem to understand what is causing the crash.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.