Windows 7 installer restarts to Mac OS

Reaction score
I am trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit, on my macbook pro 13 inch, late 2011, OS 10.9.5. Bootcamp Assistant 5.1.2
I used disk utility to create a new 120 GB partition and then used ntfsmac to format it as NTFS. I named the partition WINDOWS.
I used boot camp assistant to download the drivers that it would need after the installation of windows 7. Those drivers are on an 8 GB flash drive DOS formatted as instructed in bootcamp.
I burned a windows 7 install disk from an iso image with Disk Utility. Held down C key and started from that disk. The install went OK until windows installer had to restart the computer. It restarted into Mac OS. I shut it down and restarted holding the C key, that caused it to go back to the beginning of the installer.
Restarted again holding the option key and selected the WINDOWS partition. It went to a black screen that read press any key to start from cd or dvd. No response to any keys pressed.
Powered down and tried the windows installer again, getting the same results.
What am I doing wrong here?
I used a Disk Utility to create the partition and ntfsmac to format it. Could this have made a difference instead of having boot camp assistant do that?
I tried naming the windows partition BOOTCAMP and starting from that, no luck. Does the windows partition need a letter after it to be recognized as a start up disk?
Long time mac user here, I’ve had and used windows machines but not much. I’ve tried using CrossOver without much luck. I need Windows to run a fuel injection tuning program.

Reaction score
READ the ReadMe in the Bootcamp installer. Print it out.
You do not use Disk Utility to create the partition, Bootcamp does it.
You need to restore the drive to how it was and then run Bootcamp again to partition and install Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And not only read them, print them out so you have them beside you when you start to run BootCamp.

OP
flyandride
Reaction score
Success! I restored the drive and did everything from Bootcamp. When I got to the black screen that said press any key, I pressed a key and it went back to the beginning of windows setup. I exited that and it restarted to the black screen again. This time I didn't press anything and after a minute the windows installer continued. Bootcamp installed in Windows successfully and I installed the fuel injection software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes that is correct. You get the little spacer flashing top left corner during this and all is well.

Reaction score
Can i also recommend something let bootcamp setup the partition you dont need a third party formatter and on another note windows 7 uses a total of 25 gigs for just updates for temp files only so i recommend looking in the windows 7 temp folder and deleting them you honestly don't need them there just installation temp files that are used to install updates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.