Deletion of Inbox on Web Based e-mails

Reaction score
After 30+ years of PC experience, I am trying to get adjusted to the Apple operating system. At present, I am struggling due to a consistent problem. Every time I exit my Verizon web mail account, e-mails in my inbox are wiped out. Outlook still has them but they are gone from the webmail account.
I bought the iMac strictly for Internet use, but there seems to be a large learning curve which I have come nowhere near mastering. Anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Web mail is the same on both a Mac and PC. ;) Now, tell us what kind of an account that you have with Verizon? If it's an IMAP account then it's acting normal.

And, Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

OP
C
Reaction score
Verizon Web Mail

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Since I don't know what an IMAP account is, I cannot tell you whether I have one or not.
I use Safari to log onto the Verizon webmail page, enter my user name and password and my e-mail page pops up. The inbox contains my incoming messages, Sent box contains outgoing messages, Spam box contains anything I mark as spam and the Delete box contains anything I mark for deletion. When I exit the site after checking my e-mails, it is no different from exiting the site on my PC. When I revisit the site, sometimes I find messages in the Inbox and other times, I find it totally empty. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it deletes the messages or when it leaves them in the Inbox. The other three boxes do not seem to be affected.

As I mentioned in my original message, I am still struggling with this learning curve.

Charlie......

OP
C
Reaction score
System Information

I just read the Forum Rules and How to craft a good message!

System Information: OS X Yosemite, Version 10.10.2, iMAC 21.5", Mid 2014

Sorry. Hopefully I will get the hang of it. Used to being able to open more than one
page or site at a time. Used to being able to copy and paste. Need to learn more.

Charlie......

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the additional information. It seems that you're using Web Mail in lieu of using the mail application that's provided on your new iMac? (mail.app) Are you actually going to the Verizon site to get your mail? Verizon is my internet provider and I do have an email account with them, however, I use gmail as my main ISP. But more to the point, I download from my account(s) using the mail.app on my Mac. Sorry for the questions but I'm trying to figure out what's happening with your mail.

Reaction score
After 30+ years of PC experience, I am trying to get adjusted to the Apple operating system. At present, I am struggling due to a consistent problem. Every time I exit my Verizon web mail account, e-mails in my inbox are wiped out. Outlook still has them but they are gone from the webmail account.
I bought the iMac strictly for Internet use, but there seems to be a large learning curve which I have come nowhere near mastering. Anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

Chances are you set up Outlook with POP3 and you have it set to delete messages from the server when they are downloaded. You'll want to change this to IMAP, but everything in your inbox is now kind of in limbo. I don't remember how one would move everything back to the server.

POP3 was a thing back in the early days when mail providers didn't have a ton of space and it was up to the user to download their mail and be responsible for it. PCs did this too, so with your 30 years of PC experience you should recognize this.

Absolutely never use POP3 now.

OP
C
Reaction score
Chances are you set up Outlook with POP3 and you have it set to delete messages from the server when they are downloaded. You'll want to change this to IMAP, but everything in your inbox is now kind of in limbo. I don't remember how one would move everything back to the server.

POP3 was a thing back in the early days when mail providers didn't have a ton of space and it was up to the user to download their mail and be responsible for it. PCs did this too, so with your 30 years of PC experience you should recognize this.

Absolutely never use POP3 now.

Thank you for your insight. I have also learned from another source that you are correct. I am using a Laptop as well as the iMac and accessing mail on both computers. The Laptop has Outlook 7 loaded and was marked as default. Although I have searched through everything I can find, I cannot seem to find a box marked "leave a copy of the message on the server" to check. Instead, I just unchecked the box that made Outlook as Default. From what I have read, that should temporarily solve the problem.
You say never us POP3. What would I change this to?
I wish to thank both you and chscag for your time and patience. I appreciate your efforts.

Charlie.....

OP
C
Reaction score
Web Mail

Thanks for the additional information. It seems that you're using Web Mail in lieu of using the mail application that's provided on your new iMac? (mail.app) Are you actually going to the Verizon site to get your mail? Verizon is my internet provider and I do have an email account with them, however, I use gmail as my main ISP. But more to the point, I download from my account(s) using the mail.app on my Mac. Sorry for the questions but I'm trying to figure out what's happening with your mail.

Yes. I do go to Verizon web site to retrieve my e-mail. I have a HUGE contact list with tons of information in it and have been using it for 10+ years. When I learn how to import that information and get around iMAC Outlook, I will probably switch. In the meantime, I have continued to use Verizon Web Mail from their site. S.Subzero correctly identified the problem as my second computer (laptop) had Outlook 7 marked as default and was not marked to leave a copy of the message on the server. I have temporarily unchecked Outlook as the default and so far, that has solved the problem. Eventually, I will find out how to correctly configure the laptop.

Thanks for your assistance.

Charlie.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Just FYI - I don't think Verizon offers IMAP. Just read the Verizon email FAQ and according to it, they have only POP3.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just FYI - I don't think Verizon offers IMAP. Just read the Verizon email FAQ and according to it, they have only POP3. Lisa

@Charlie2185:

Lisa is correct. That's why I asked you in my first reply what kind of an account you had. You can keep and maintain your POP3 account but you'll just have to remember about the option to remove mail from the server - later on when you use Apple Mail to retrieve your mail.

I use both types of accounts. Personal mail is POP3 via gmail, and our business mail is IMAP via iCloud. I believe Verizon does offer IMAP for business accounts but those accounts are not free.

Reaction score
Don't use Verizon for your primary mail, it was never designed for that. Verizon is not a mail host.

You should create a Gmail or Outlook.com account and use that. You can set up forwarding to anyone that emails you at your Verizon account, it lands in your "better suited for mail" email.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.