PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Bootloader for Intel Macs

teenagemom
03-17-2006, 05:29 AM
You can now boot your Intel mac into Windows XP...

its a zip file that contains the XP installer:
download here (http://apple.qj.net/Windows-XP-Bootloader-for-Intel-Macs/pg/49/aid/11050)

do you like your mac to boot on XP?????!!!!

:doctor: :miner: :dive:

EDIT-XTREEM
03-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Really...?

teenagemom
03-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Really...?

yes..did you download and try it??

EDIT-XTREEM
03-18-2006, 10:15 AM
i dont have an intel mac (boo)

EDIT-XTREEM
03-18-2006, 10:20 AM
what about airport?

mr g5
03-18-2006, 10:37 AM
wow this is amazing, can you boot both OS's? Say good buy to virtual pc :)

inflexion
03-18-2006, 11:54 AM
what about airport?
Wont work the extreme card is a propriatry card so you would need a different one

PowerBookG4
03-18-2006, 12:37 PM
You can now boot your Intel mac into Windows XP...

its a zip file that contains the XP installer:
download here (http://apple.qj.net/Windows-XP-Bootloader-for-Intel-Macs/pg/49/aid/11050)

do you like your mac to boot on XP?????!!!!

:doctor: :miner: :dive:

Thanks for the link, I really wish I had a intel mac to try this.

lil
03-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Wont work the extreme card is a propriatry card so you would need a different one

Not quite...

The Airport Extreme is a modified Mini PCI card with a very standard Broadcom chipset; much like many PCI 'Windows' cards, such as the Belkin card in my G4; Since it uses the same Broadcom chip as the Airport Extreme it is treated and recognised as an Airport Extreme card.

I would suggest that maybe Belkin's drivers for the Rev 1 or 2 F5D7000 may work. (the Windows drivers that is)

Vicky

xbrian87
03-18-2006, 12:54 PM
ZOMG I AM TRYING THIS NOW

I will report back with my findings.

xbrian87
03-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Right now I'm.. er.. acquiring (lol!) a copy of Nero to install on my father's PC to start the project. Should be done Acquiring (LOL!) in about 5 minutes.

D3v1L80Y
03-18-2006, 01:41 PM
*sigh*

BlindingLights
03-18-2006, 04:32 PM
i'm gonna give this a shot and i'll report back. shouldn't take too long.

tjespo22
03-18-2006, 05:55 PM
cant wait to hear some feedback..but do u need the windows xp disc and all that stuff?...and you can also get a virus right?

BlindingLights
03-18-2006, 07:19 PM
yeah you need the boot disc, and you can get viruses if you use it for the internet, otherwise no one can access your computer other than going onto it...

right now my pc isn't working... so for now i'll try out the "mac only" theory version, see if that works...

PowerBookG4
03-18-2006, 08:18 PM
has anybody from these forums completed this successfully yet?

I wish i had an x86 (intel) machine to try this out on.

BlindingLights
03-18-2006, 09:28 PM
finally, i got a working version of nero on my comp (it's nero 5... but who cares?)

I can't wait to try this out... Again I'll report back ASAP

baggss
03-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Everyone tried, but no one has reported back yet. Interesting.....

quicksilver
03-20-2006, 05:37 AM
Found this piccy of a guy from xlr8yourmac.com.

Seems to have been successful.

http://static.flickr.com/19/113870222_25a448b1cb.jpg?v=0

Article is here: xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/)

EDIT-XTREEM
03-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Found this piccy of a guy from xlr8yourmac.com.

Seems to have been successful.

http://static.flickr.com/19/113870222_25a448b1cb.jpg?v=0

Article is here: xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/)
cool!!! i will check out the site

chuckalicious
03-20-2006, 09:48 AM
So it works, but there are no video drivers yet. It's getting there I guess

quicksilver
03-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Found another article thru my MacWorld widget. This one's on an Imac.

MacWorld XP Article (http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2006/03/winmac/index.php)

EDIT-XTREEM
03-20-2006, 10:12 AM
So it works, but there are no video drivers yet. It's getting there I guess
can someone explane: " but there are no video drivers yet. It's getting there I guess"

quicksilver
03-20-2006, 10:15 AM
can someone explane: " but there are no video drivers yet. It's getting there I guess"

From MacWorld article: "without a native video driver, moving windows around on screen is painfully slow"

Rob
03-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Ewww, never. The reason I put OS X on my Toshiba was to get away from XP.

chuckalicious
03-21-2006, 04:59 AM

Learn to spell mate :)

Windows XP requires software which is designed for each part of the computer, called drivers. Each "driver" tells the computer how to communicate with the hardware it's designed to "drive".

Graphics cards require extremely complex drivers because they are so powerful and thus each card requires some very specific drivers. The cards that the new Macs use don't have a driver which works on Windows yet, so the hardware cannot be used to its full potential. Windows does a good job of finding "the next best thing" to allow it to at least run, but it can't do anything near what it was designed to do, so until someone makes, or hacks a driver to work, we are stuck with a native VGA or SVGA driver I'd imagine.

What I meant by "it's getting there" is just a week or so ago, no-one had got XP running on a Mac, now they have, so it shouldn't be long before some bright spark makes a driver that makes it a real PC :)

kaidomac
03-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Learn to spell mate :)

Windows XP requires software which is designed for each part of the computer, called drivers. Each "driver" tells the computer how to communicate with the hardware it's designed to "drive".

Graphics cards require extremely complex drivers because they are so powerful and thus each card requires some very specific drivers. The cards that the new Macs use don't have a driver which works on Windows yet, so the hardware cannot be used to its full potential. Windows does a good job of finding "the next best thing" to allow it to at least run, but it can't do anything near what it was designed to do, so until someone makes, or hacks a driver to work, we are stuck with a native VGA or SVGA driver I'd imagine.

What I meant by "it's getting there" is just a week or so ago, no-one had got XP running on a Mac, now they have, so it shouldn't be long before some bright spark makes a driver that makes it a real PC :)

I have another definition of a driver: a driver is an instruction manual for the computer. When you plug something into a computer, the computer doesn't know the difference between, say, a scanner and a brick. So, you install a piece of software called the driver, which is the instruction manual for that part for the computer. Once the computer has the instruction manual (driver), it will know how to use the part. Windows has lots of drivers built in, like for the processor, ram, and other common/popular parts, but for other things, like this video card from ATi, it requires that you give it the instruction manual to be able to use it, i.e. install the driver.

Don't confuse the driver with a program; you still need to install programs to make use of the hardware. If you install a scanner and the scanner driver, you still need to install Photoshop to edit the pictures. If you install a video card, you still need a video game to use the card. So the operating system is the "boss" program, applications like iLife and Office are the application programs (things you use to do stuff, like write documents), drivers are the instruction manuals for hardware in or attached to the computer the computer, and files are things that you make using the programs on your computer.

Like chuckalicious said, just give the hackers time. I'm sure full or nearly full driver support will be available sometime this year. I also know they are working on automating the creation of the discs, so in the future it will probably be as easy as downloading a single program, putting your XP CD in the drive, and pressing the "go" button to create a customized Apple/XP install disc. Time will tell though, we just have to be patient!

piece of apple
03-21-2006, 01:10 PM
why oh why would someone want Windows XP? It's so pathetic and ugly. Gaaawwwddd. I had to use it for six years. I mean for Christ's sake, why is the Shut Down button in the "Start" Menu? They're so ironic, over there at Microsoft. And XP houses some of the worst - no, the worst - icons ever made. other than Visual Basic, I honestly do not know one good thing about XP. I'm not even lying. Everything about the system is so cumberson.

chuckalicious
03-21-2006, 01:18 PM
why oh why would someone want Windows XP? It's so pathetic and ugly. Gaaawwwddd. I had to use it for six years. I mean for Christ's sake, why is the Shut Down button in the "Start" Menu? They're so ironic, over there at Microsoft. And XP houses some of the worst - no, the worst - icons ever made. other than Visual Basic, I honestly do not know one good thing about XP. I'm not even lying. Everything about the system is so cumberson.

That's such a typical response. It's people like you who give Mac users a bad name. This thread isn't about why we want to do it, it's simply about doing it.

Go and do your Windows bashing elsewhere. Both OS' have their places and uses, I know, I use both of them, and happily.

BlindingLights
03-21-2006, 02:23 PM
I was gonna try this out, but my main problem was that i at first overlooked the fact that this voids out the warranty (d'oh!) and I spent $180 on the extended warranty... to void it, that's just stupid. Plus, with the video driver issue, I'll wait for Apple or Microsoft to release something officially.

RiseAbove24
03-21-2006, 02:52 PM
why did you use it for six years if it was torture??!??! ZOMFGROFFLEZZ!!!
jk :p

chuckalicious
03-22-2006, 04:15 AM
I was gonna try this out, but my main problem was that i at first overlooked the fact that this voids out the warranty (d'oh!) and I spent $180 on the extended warranty... to void it, that's just stupid. Plus, with the video driver issue, I'll wait for Apple or Microsoft to release something officially.

Surely all you need to do is reinstall Mac OS X from the install CD using one big partition. Surely installing a different bit of software doesn't void a warranty!

to_tough_to_die
03-22-2006, 10:00 AM
They couldn't prove it unless you installed it on the iMacs internal hard disk. Just boot from an external.

chuckalicious
03-22-2006, 10:02 AM
You can't prove it even if you installed it on the internal disk!!! You just reinstall OS X!!!

Unless there's something about that new "bios" file that you can't remove.

BlindingLights
03-22-2006, 05:28 PM
external... never thought about that... good thinking!

but how the **** do I boot from an external? never done it before, excuse my n00bishness...

to_tough_to_die
03-22-2006, 07:44 PM
external... never thought about that... good thinking!

but how the **** do I boot from an external? never done it before, excuse my n00bishness...

Hold down 'option' while booting.

baggss
03-25-2006, 01:52 AM
It appears that the need for much of this "hack" may go away when LEOPARD (http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles/2006/03/23/leopard-to-include-vmware-like-virtualisation-software/) is released...

piece of apple
03-25-2006, 07:39 PM
That's such a typical response. It's people like you who give Mac users a bad name. This thread isn't about why we want to do it, it's simply about doing it.

Go and do your Windows bashing elsewhere. Both OS' have their places and uses, I know, I use both of them, and happily.

yea but you used both xp and os x. try using only xp for, say, about a year. windows isn't "bad", it's "bad for society".

chuckalicious
03-26-2006, 08:05 AM
yea but you used both xp and os x. try using only xp for, say, about a year. windows isn't "bad", it's "bad for society".

Not at all, I used all versions of Windows long before I ever touched an Apple. Now I use both, and I don't dislike either.

sbatson
03-27-2006, 01:39 AM

Well said!

sbatson
03-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Surely all you need to do is reinstall Mac OS X from the install CD using one big partition. Surely installing a different bit of software doesn't void a warranty!

I agree...I don't see how loading an OS or Software on a system could void the warranty. I would if possible, re-install Mac OS fresh with format to wipe windows off if I had to let Apple look at the system.

techster82
03-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Chuckalicious, you and I should start a club. I get soooooo tired of all the stupid unfounded remarks that people try to make about XP and Microsoft in general. The only thing I dislike about my Apple's is the fact that I am part of a community that is largely intolerant of competitive technology. Like you I am a dual user and am wetting my pants at the thought of having a gorgeous looking Mac Laptop with the advantage of running windows on it. I am trying my best to hold out for a 12" Macbook Pro but if the kinks are worked out in the next couple of months and the 12" isn't out, I may take the plunge.

puaerotch
03-27-2006, 01:39 PM
The only thing I dislike about my Apple's is the fact that I am part of a community that is largely intolerant of competitive technology.

thats not just the Apple community, thats the whole computer community. a lot of windows users "bash" apple computers. the big difference between "microsoft bashers" and "apple bashers" is that i havent met an apple user that is also an "apple basher" whereas i have met many windows users that complain about microsoft all the time

scooter
03-27-2006, 02:28 PM
thats not just the Apple community, thats the whole computer community. a lot of windows users "bash" apple computers. the big difference between "microsoft bashers" and "apple bashers" is that i havent met an apple user that is also an "apple basher" whereas i have met many windows users that complain about microsoft all the time

i know quite a few :yinyang:

dan828
03-27-2006, 03:23 PM

You see a lot of it in the Linux community, but frankly, I really don't see that much Apple bashing going on anywhere. Perhaps I just don't frequent the same places that you do, but most people seem to not know much about Apple or just don't want to use them because the OS is different than what they are used to. But these same people also don't want to use Linux either, and again, it's because it's different from what they are used to. For most people a computer is a tool, not a fashion statement or lifestyle choice, and they only use them when the need to. And these people just don't get all that emotional over hardware brands and operating systems.

Back when I was a kid I used to have endless arguments with my friends over whose computer was better, my Apple ][+ or their Commodore 64 or Atari 800 or what have you. It was pretty much just so much hot air, but the argument never got settled and the hardware is all long obsolete, so it was just a waste of time. These days I'm hardware and OS agnostic-- I have several computers and am running OS X, Windows, and Linux, and I look at all these arguments as something I might have been involved with as a teenager, but pretty much think of as being a bit foolish now.