Contacts won't sync to new iPad from iCloud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2.9 GHz OSX Yosemite 10.10
Help please. Brand new iPad Air 2 and can't get contacts to sync. Spent 2 days with iChat Apple support and still no success. Have erased and restored 3 times from iCloud and still no success with phone contacts. Have emails and photos but still no phone contacts. Running latest version of iOS 8 on all devices and also latest version of iTunes. Really don't want to pay for an extraction app just for contacts if not needed. When I try to transfer from iTunes backup using usb, get message indicating some contacts may be altered or deleted. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are your contacts syncing properly from your contacts.app on your MacBook Pro to your iPhone? Assuming here that you're using iCloud, and have turned on iCloud drive, and all your settings in system preferences are OK, and that you're using the same Apple ID on your iPad as your other devices?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I were using my macbook pro. The iPad is a gift for my Dad who uses Windows. We have a complicated situation because he has been using my mom's apple id for iCloud and iTunes but now that he has the iPad we are trying to import everything they have been sharing to his new device and then set up a separate apple id for him. He has an iPhone 4s. She does NOT have an iPhone. We do NOT have icloud drive turned on. Do I need to use iCloud drive to be able to successfully grab his phone contact list? I have not tried to use his Windows pc with the iTunes account he backed up to because I don't have it physically available but I will later today. I apologize for not including that relevant information in my initial post. Thanks so much for responding.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, that sort of complicates things... :) I don't believe you're going to be able sync those contacts in the usual manner. I have 2 iPhones (wife and mine) plus an iPad and iMac. Contacts sync across all from my iMac because: Same Apple ID, iCloud drive turned on for all devices, and in System Preferences iCloud - all settings for sync are turned on. We use Yosemite and iOS 8.

Suggestion: Do not use a new Apple ID for your Dad. Let him continue to use the old one but turn on iCloud drive on the iPad and the 4s. And make sure he has iCloud for Windows setup correctly. I can't help you with the Windows setup but Apple has good instructions. He may also be able to sync the contacts using iTunes for Windows but that's not automatic and has to be repeated each time the contacts change.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Indeed it does. Been trying to convert them both over to mac for years. I will try turning on iCloud drive on his iPhone and the iPad. I was apple to use apple support//forums to get him to successfully sync to iTunes and I have been able to grab his photos and email contacts from iCloud just not the phone contacts. As soon as they get the Windows laptop to me, I will attempt to sync with the iPad using iTunes. I'll be sure to post the outcome either way.

Thanks again for your quick response. Very much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.