MacKeeper web site keeps opening

Reaction score
My grandson is having problems with the MacKeeper web page opening when he uses his iMac to surf the web.
It's unpredictable and happens with both Safari and Chrome browsers.
He reckons he hasn't got MacKeeper installed on his machine and he has checked for any files or things relating to it and found nothing.
He got his iMac just before Christmas and he has Yosemite v 10.10.2.
Is it some thing he has to put up with or is there a solution to the annoying page opening at random.
I've had my iMac for a year now and never experienced anything like he's experiencing.
I would like to help him but I'm very much still a newly where macs are concerned.

Screen Shot.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Mackeeper is notorious for aggressive advertising. It is not something you or want or need. Here are a few things he should do. Download and run AdwareMedic. This will remove any issues he may have gotten.

AdwareMedic

Then to prevent future problems, install as browser extensions adblock plus and ghostery. Both are free and he can configure them to his preferences. These can be added in the extensions section of the browser.

To do this in Chrome click on the three little parallel slashes at the end of the address bar. A drop down menu should appear and you will need to scroll down to settings. On the settings page, look on the left side menu for extensions and click on it. Scroll to the bottom of that page and click on "get more extensions" and search for the two I listed and install both.

To do this in Safari, click on "Safari" on the menu bar and then click on "safari extensions". On the lower right side there is a search bar. Search for the two I listed and install both.

If you have more questions post back.

Lisa

OP
T
Reaction score
Hello Lisa,
Thank you for your reply.
I'll pass on your recommenations and hopefully they will stop the MacKeeper page from appearing.

Reaction score
MacKeeper ads

Thank you Lisa!!

:[

Mackeeper is notorious for aggressive advertising. It is not something you or want or need. Here are a few things he should do. Download and run AdwareMedic. This will remove any issues he may have gotten.

AdwareMedic

Then to prevent future problems, install as browser extensions adblock plus and ghostery. Both are free and he can configure them to his preferences. These can be added in the extensions section of the browser.

To do this in Chrome click on the three little parallel slashes at the end of the address bar. A drop down menu should appear and you will need to scroll down to settings. On the settings page, look on the left side menu for extensions and click on it. Scroll to the bottom of that page and click on "get more extensions" and search for the two I listed and install both.

To do this in Safari, click on "Safari" on the menu bar and then click on "safari extensions". On the lower right side there is a search bar. Search for the two I listed and install both.

If you have more questions post back.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.