eBay and lost or stolen iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Today some bright spark listed an iPad on eBay with an image of the screen with the original owner's statement that it had been lost and giving his mobile number. I sent a text message to the owner who was grateful and had been contacted by other e-bay members. He said that eBay would have taken 24 hours to have removed it. At the time there was less than half an hour till the end of the auction.

It's good to know that a lost or stolen iPad can be so easily identified although the seller must have been an idiot not to have understood the situation although he hadn't been able to log on and advertised the fact.

It 'sold' at a low price and presumably eBay will eventually step in. Out of interest is it possible to restore the factory settings on an iPad so as to make it usable? Presumably the bidders of which there were a number must have thought so.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It 'sold' at a low price and presumably eBay will eventually step in. Out of interest is it possible to restore the factory settings on an iPad so as to make it usable? Presumably the bidders of which there were a number must have thought so.

Sadly yes, almost any stolen iPhone, iPad, or iPod can be wiped even if it's locked by "Find My iDevice". There is even one website which advertises the fact. Of course they say it's only for those who "forgot" their password or Apple ID but it's obvious their clients are mostly thieves who thrive on that kind of business. I'm hoping Apple shuts down that site but since it's located outside the US, I'm not sure there's anything they can do.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Out of interest is it possible to restore the factory settings on an iPad so as to make it usable?
Apple introduced activation lock that is meant to, effectively, make an iOS device unusable for those who are not the original owner. You can also restore a device to factory settings through "Find my <iOS device>." So, the original owner can make it unusable if they want.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Thanks. I do find this Forum way the best of any of the other forums on the internet and both of you have already helped me on a number of occasions. Thanks.

I did send a message to the seller who presumably is now aware of what a silly *** he has been!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.