I entered string into terminal - how to reverse action

Reaction score
I was trying to set up a virtual machine on my Mac (OSX 10.9.5) and followed the instructions and entered this into the terminal:

curl -s https://raw.github.com/xdissent/ievms/master/ievms.sh | bash

As I understand it, that gives some control of my machine to someone else - at least, potentially. So how can I undo this?

Thanks so much. (And trust me when I say that I am really not technically savvy, so please answer accordingly - like maybe you would to a first grader.)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Did you install Virtual Box first?
That doesn't give control to anyone. it downloads a shell script, then runs it to install IE in the Virtual Box install of Windows.
If it's still running just hit control-C to stop it. If it's not, don't worry about it. Just trash the script.
If you don't want it just trash the files associated with it.

And, not to be condescending, if you don't know what you're doing, keep out of Terminal until you do know what you're doing.
You can really screw things up in Terminal. Like in "my computer wont boot anymore and I lost all my files" screwed up.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The mantra I always preach to people is if you don't understand what you are doing, don't do it. This is doubly so when it comes to the Terminal since its VERY easy to break things there...

Anyway, this script, as Cradom, suggested is just going to use VirutalBox and grab a pre-made virtual machine with Windows for IE testing.

If you were following the instructions here to get that command, which happens to be step 2, you surely did step 1, right?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The mantra I always preach to people is if you don't understand what you are doing, don't do it. This is doubly so when it comes to the Terminal since its VERY easy to break things there...

I couldn't agree more!!:)

Folks…DON'T mess with Terminal if you aren't 100% sure what you're doing!

- Nick

Reaction score
And I didn't read all the page but why would you need to install IE like that? Doesn't IE come with Windows?

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah, terminal scares the crap out of me. And your advice is well-taken.

Yes, I installed VM. I have since placed it into trash. So do I understand y'all right that I should just leave this code I placed into terminal alone? If not, anyone have a step by step on how I undo what I typed in?

Thanks. I'm embarrassed but still concerned.

Reaction score
There's nothing to undo.
All you did was download a script which probably downloaded something and tried to install it into a virtual windows.
Once you quit Terminal it's stopped. It's not doing anything in the background and if you uninstalled Virtual Box it's gone anyway.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
And I didn't read all the page but why would you need to install IE like that? Doesn't IE come with Windows?

Craig, Microsoft provides a bunch of canned Windows versions with different versions of IE in them for web developers to test their websites with.

There used to be another project which wrapped the different versions of IE inside Wine to accomplish the same thing, but a lot faster and easier to use..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Craig, Microsoft provides a bunch of canned Windows versions with different versions of IE in them for web developers to test their websites with.
They certainly do (here) which has proven, beyond web testing, to be an easy way to get a temporary Windows VM legally. Speaking of those, OP, those might be the easier way to get what you want with ievms.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.