Changing Drive Names

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 5,1, Yosemite, Quad Core Xeon 2.8 Ghz, 2 x 2TB + 1 x 4TB HDDs, 8GB ECC RAM, ATI Radeon 5770
Here is another Newbie question.

I want to change both hard drive names to something that makes more sense for my needs.

Currently drive 1 is named "Yosemite 2TB" and drive 2 is named "2TB". What is the best way to change the names and is their any inherent risk in doing so. For instance will Time Machine know where to save the backups? Any other possible issues?

I will want to change my user name too, but one thing at a time.

I am keeping notes on any changes I do, can't rely on the memory so much these days.

Thanks in advance,

Peter B.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Changing drive names is easy. Just click on the drive and its current name will be high lighted. Type in whatever name you wish and press return. You may have to re-select the drive with its new name in Time Machine to let it know.

Changing your user name is more complicated and if done incorrectly can lock you out of your data. Make sure you research how to do it before making the attempt. The Apple KB has several good articles on the subject. And don't even think about making the change unless you have a full backup. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 5,1, Yosemite, Quad Core Xeon 2.8 Ghz, 2 x 2TB + 1 x 4TB HDDs, 8GB ECC RAM, ATI Radeon 5770
Changing drive names is easy. Just click on the drive and its current name will be high lighted. Type in whatever name you wish and press return. You may have to re-select the drive with its new name in Time Machine to let it know.

Changing your user name is more complicated and if done incorrectly can lock you out of your data. Make sure you research how to do it before making the attempt. The Apple KB has several good articles on the subject. And don't even think about making the change unless you have a full backup. ;)

Thanks. Drive name change was successful. TM recognized the name changes too. Mac systems seem to have more smarts than I gave them credit for.

Peter B.

PS I will post a new thread on the name change, it will give browsers a better change of finding it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Did you change your drive names to something meaningful or something fun. Mine are called Bramley, Pippin, Gala and Braeburn. Can't imagine why :)
BTW any suggestions for a name for my new drive, continuing the theme?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you change your drive names to something meaningful or something fun. Mine are called Bramley, Pippin, Gala and Braeburn. Can't imagine why :)

I had to use something meaningful because all of my 10 drives in my PCs and laptops are all networked. So it is simpler to give them names that told me which machine they are on.

Regarding you next drive name, how about PIE as in Apple Pie? Or maybe Fiji which is an American apple, but so is Macintosh, or Mac, but that may be too confusing.

Let me know what you decide on.

Peter B.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Can't imagine why
Neither can I. :D

How about Melrose? A very nice eater/cooker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Sawday . . . how about "Crab". Crab apples are only good for using in slingshots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks folks. Of the above I like Melrose the best and it fits with the naming convention, not that I've ever noticed then in the shops (yet). Still time for more ideas though.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WAY OFF TOPIC - Melrose Drive (Apple)

WAY OFF TOPIC.

Species: Malus domestica
Parentage: Jonathan x Red Delicious
Originates from: United States
Introduced: 1944
Developed by: Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station, Wooster, Ohio
Orange Pippin Cultivar ID: 1789
Ohio State Apple.

They may not be available in the UK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
not that I've ever noticed then in the shops
Neither have we. We buy them from a local fruit farm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.