• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Backing up videos

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2013 MacBook Air, 500 GB. I use a 2 TB My Passport for Mac (A) to backup my Mac using TimeMachine. It works very well and I have not had a problem with it.

Now, because I have been doing a lot of work with videos, I have run out of space. So, I purchased two more 2 TB My Passport for Mac (B and C).

I plan on moving my videos to B so that it is solely for video.

However, I want to be able to backup B to C, so that I have two copies of my video drive.

Is there any way to do this with TimeMachine or does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However, I want to be able to backup B to C, so that I have two copies of my video drive.

Is there any way to do this with TimeMachine or does anyone have any better suggestions?

Time Machine won't perform that kind of a backup. Actually what you need is cloning software: Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Both will backup one external hard drive to another.

C

chas_m

I know SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner are the frequently-mentioned choice, but there is another option, one which I've grown to like best: Chronosync.

There are two main reasons and one smaller reason I like it:

1. Chronosync has worked reliably for years, and has more flexibility and power than either of the other two. You can sync local drives, networked drives, remote drives over the internet. Chronosync does not care, and offers a lot of options and customizability to your backup plan if you care to get into that, or does incremental or whole backups simply if that's all you want.

2. No user left behind policy. You buy Chronosync one time ($40) and you're done. You get every future version they release. Forever. They have had this policy for more than a decade (at least), and mention it constantly, so there are no plans to change it.

3. I know these guys and their drive for the product. They provide outstanding customer service (which I've never needed) and are genuinely customer-focused. I've been a customer for many years, and I've used the other products as well and they are great too. But Chronosync has never let me down, even when I took it for granted. After like 10 years of free upgrades, and when SD didn't initially work with Yosemite (and CCC decided it was paid upgrade time ... again ...) I took a fresh look at it and decided it really is the best of the bunch.

Apart from my acquaintance with the developers, I have no reason to praise them apart from my general satisfaction with the product. They've never asked me to say a word about it. I just decided after years of use that I should let others in on this underrated gem. There's a 30-day free trial so you can try it for yourself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've never used Chronosync so I can't comment on its use and other attributes. However, Carbon Copy Cloner is clearly the choice of Macworld Magazine and other Mac article writers. It should be noted that CCC was donation ware for a number of years before it went to pay ware. Also, I believe that the simple version of SuperDuper is still free.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Could you set up the two drives as a RAID? I have a LaCie RAID drive with a Thunderbolt connection where I store my media.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've been using one of these - prior version - for a few years for my audio/video files - hardware RAID 1 mirrored setup and no backup worries - it's a nice kit for $120 w/your own drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.