can't scan with HP Photosmart C8180

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, OS 10.8.5
My desktop computer is a 2012 running Mountain Lion 10.8.5. I have the same system on my laptop, which is also 2011 or 2012. I have an HP Photosmart C8180 printer/all-in-one.

I have no problem scanning with the desktop. But although the laptop (connected with USB cable to printer) can print without a problem, it doesn't scan. It gives the error "Sorry, scanner could not be initialized. (Scanner not found.)" Both with the Scanpro application and with HP device manager. Preview can't see it either, nor can other software.

I've gone to the HP site and followed all the suggestions there: deleted HP software, re-installed; restarted everything; repaired permissions; messed with the printer in system preferences, etc. etc. I've spent about 4 hours, with no success.

As a last resort, I deleted all the HP software again and copied it back from the desktop--if it worked there, it should work on the laptop, right? No. No change, scanner won't scan. There doesn't seem to be a thread here for this problem. But based on the HP site, it seems to have been a common problem over a period of years, with all sorts of Mac OS and HP printers. Some of their solutions, which appear to have worked, aren't applicable since I have a slightly different system and printer, so the commands aren't the same.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, OS 10.8.5
OK, I solved it. After trying everything else, I deleted all the HP software, got out the CD that came with the printer (dated 2008, OS 10.5), and re-installed from that. It worked. It scans. Who would have thought? (And of COURSE I didn't update it--thus screwing it up!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.