Whatsapp hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Anyone had problems with Whatsapp? I suddenly got hundreds of spam emails from Whatsapp with an attachment which of course I didn't open. I quickly deleted the app from my phone and iTunes. I also changed my password twice on gmail and my Apple ID. I then contacted gmail who suggested I revoke permissions for apps on my phone which I did, though presumably it's a case of 'after the horse has bolted'. Any thoughts anyone?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

Anyone had problems with Whatsapp? I suddenly got hundreds of spam emails from Whatsapp with an attachment which of course I didn't open. I quickly deleted the app from my phone and iTunes. I also changed my password twice on gmail and my Apple ID. I then contacted gmail who suggested I revoke permissions for apps on my phone which I did, though presumably it's a case of 'after the horse has bolted'. Any thoughts anyone?

Your suspicion that your WhatsApp messaging app has been hacked may or may not be true. Someone may have gotten hold of your password or one of the folks you message with. It's more likely the latter. Once that person's password has been compromised the hacker uses their sending ability as a robot to dispense spam and junk mail. And also nasty attachments. It's probably a good idea to notify everyone you message with of the problem and have them check their accounts. Changing passwords to a long string of alpha numeric characters is a good idea. Of course those kinds of passwords are almost impossible to remember. Using a password manager in that situation is best.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I wonder if it's a coincidence that the spam emails have stopped the same day iOS updated with bug fixes :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.