iMini won't open

Reaction score
Long story! I have a Macbook Pro laptop working on wifi, Mavericks, OS10.9.5.

The main computer connected to the router is a iMini in the family room (also running 10.9.5. It’s attached to a tv screen for viewing. (not connected to a tv).

I use Verizon FIOS and supposed to be receiving 50/50 speed.

Almost every day around 1-2 p.m. Eastern time (I’m in Maryland), I lose wifi service to my laptop...it’s annoyingly consistent.

Today, after the laptop lost connection to the Net, I went to check the Mini and it had also lost the Internet connection. The Desktop had disappeared from the screen for the Mini, and I couldn’t get the Mini to start by pushing its button.

Now my laptop is again able to connect to the Net.
But, I still can’t get the Mini to open on the main tv monitor in the family room. The monitor has been working on setting HDMI1. (I also tried HDMI-2, but that didn’t work either.)
Today I phoned Verizon, and the tech walked me through unplugging and replugging the Mini but it didn’t help.
Regarding the loss of service consistently at the same time every day, Verizon said “We can’t guarantee wifi service.” I pointed out this happens consistently and I’m supposed to be receiving 50/50 service, but that’s all they would say.

Does anyone have any clues as to what may have happened? Could it just be coincidental that it failed during the episode of wifi loss on my laptop? Or could that have affected the Mini to the extent that I can’t get the Mini to open on the monitor?

I can open the Mini on the laptop using screen sharing and also open Safari. I was able to open a movie on Amazon (but without audio).

In the past when the laptop lost the wifi, I’d go to the family room and the Mini would be operating normally and the Mini Desktop would be open with the Dock, etc. on the tv monitor, and I’d be able to open Google.

OP
I
Reaction score
Solved! Checked the cable to the surge supressor and connected to another outlet. The Mini started right up! The only thing that bugs me now is why I keep losing wifi at the same time every day...unless it had something to do with the surge supressor unit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.