Video lighting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Anyone else here making videos with their DSLR? Hoping there is here..

I got 3 light stands from Limo Studio (Cowboy Studio clone), one small for backlight and two tall stands. These have really helped my lighting needs for my videos. They came with two 45w CFL bulbs, but those were for 120v so I couldn't use them and purchased some 30w CFL bulbs here in the Philippines. Those worked good, but at f/4.5 and 1/50sec shutter, I have to raise my ISO to 1600 to expose my videos correctly. Keep in mind that the 30w bulbs are equivalent to older 120watt light bulbs at 1870 lumens. So I went yesterday and got two 65watt CFLs that are the equivalent to 235watts each. Which should be about double the lumens. However I still have to use ISO1600 to expose correctly.

SO how much more lighting does someone need to really get this lit up and lower my ISO to something like 400..

Cheers,
Joey

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Reaction score
More wattage!

I use (2) 500-watt and (1) 250-watt tungsten with umbrellas for any indoor work in which I can arrange a controlled environment. Same type of set-up that one would use in a portrait studio. I could use some dimmers but I just move the lights back a little if it seems too bright.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More wattage!

I use (2) 500-watt and (1) 250-watt tungsten with umbrellas for any indoor work in which I can arrange a controlled environment. Same type of set-up that one would use in a portrait studio. I could use some dimmers but I just move the lights back a little if it seems too bright.

Fritz is that a 500w CFL or 500w equivelent?
The 65w CFLs I got are 235w equivalents. They are supposed to be 62 lumens per watt. Which would make them 4030 lumens each.

I looked into the 4 bulb to 1 socket adapters and if I was in the US I would order 2 and try them. But being out here in pinowhere. I don't want to order something, wait on it for 3 to 4 months, then get disappointed.

So what I am considering is getting the lighting bracket that has a place for two bulbs on the side and a flash in the center. They look safer and I want to be able to use my flash anyway. Then just grab 4 x 100w CFLs in town, which should put out 6200 lumens each and be the equivalent of about 350w each.

Here is what I was looking at on amazon..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.