I just have to ask

R

rev1916

I'm not a newbee - I'm a wannabee - I think.
And no - this is not a trolling attempt.

I'm a linux and windoze user. At home I do not use windows at all - I just run my Linux SuSE 7.3. I am seriously fed up with M$ and it's "security" features. Unfortunately I am stuck with windoze here at work. Our oldest son is looking to get into the computer animation field and I see a lot of the software out there for that is available on the Mac and some of those packages are ported ONLY to the Mac.

I thought "O-kay - go with the tool that works" so I started looking at Macs oh about a year ago. So I started browsing and lurking in newsgroups and website forums to get a feel for how the mac community took care of itself and it's products. I did the same when I switched to Linux at home.

Then Panther 10.3 came out and 10.3.1. The forums on http://discussions.info.apple.com/ are riddled with seriously ticked off users. The complaints run from super loud Superdrives to a mail program that does not work and loses mail folders, the system after upgrading to 10.3 formatted certain firmware versions of Firewire drives, permissions have to be repeatedly reset. It goes on and on.

This is probably a method of information gathering which is flawed since there are pitifully few people on that particular forum saying that upgrades went flawlessly or that their G5 ran perfect out of the box etc. After all - if I wanted to check how healthy a community was I wouldn't look for happy healthy people in the local hospital would I?

So to boil this down - is 10.3x worth getting involved in? Then if so for a home user looking to get into CGI modeling and animation should I consider the G5 with an already disgruntled community or look at the more stabilized G4 platform and do a clean install of 10.3x?

Thanks in advance
Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I wouldnt mind hearing more about this also.. I havent upgraded to 10.3 yet for the same reasons and I am running a business and for me to have those type of problems translates into some serious lost working time..

OP
M

Mac Apple

I just upgraded to 10.3 and had had no probs, infact its improved my machine :D .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I haven't had any problems since the switch

OP
H

hokiethang

Mac Apple said:
I just upgraded to 10.3 and had had no probs, infact its improved my machine :D .

I completely agree, my upgrade to 10.3 was flawless. As for the graphics/animation stuff, I would suspect that a dual G4 would be plenty for what your son wanted to do. I havent used a G5 extensively, so i dont know about any of their issues, but my powerbook has been a wonderful machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.