how to add/select folders for iCloud backup on MacBook

Reaction score
iCloud recognizes my MacBook Pro (so it's "signed up"), but I can't figure out how I add specific folders on my MacBook I want to be backed up in iCloud.

I've tried preferences with no luck and the iCloud webpage.

Can someone give me a step-by-step?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're referring to iCloud automatically backing up folders similar to the way it's done in Time Machine, it doesn't do that. If for example you wish to backup - copy your Pages documents, just drag the folder (while holding down your option key) to your iCloud drive and drop it there. Keep in mind that you only have 5 GB of free storage.

OP
A
Reaction score
If you're referring to iCloud automatically backing up folders similar to the way it's done in Time Machine, it doesn't do that. If for example you wish to backup - copy your Pages documents, just drag the folder (while holding down your option key) to your iCloud drive and drop it there. Keep in mind that you only have 5 GB of free storage.

Thanks.

I'm paying for 20 GB of storage, since I have an iPad and an iPhone on iCloud, too.

So, the better question is, I guess, how do I determine that the folders I want to be sure are backed up, are backed up already on Time Machine? Just open the external hard drive that Time Machine is using and see if they're there?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Everything on your internal drive is backed up by Time Machine unless "you" go into TM preferences and exclude something from the backup.

Having another copy online or at a separate location is always a good idea for the in case of fire, theft, etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As "bobtomay" pointed out, everything is backed up off your internal drive unless you specifically exclude it. However, do not open up the Time Machine drive to look for files. Always enter Time Machine first and use the Finder - like dialog to navigate in order to find files and folders.

OP
A
Reaction score
As "bobtomay" pointed out, everything is backed up off your internal drive unless you specifically exclude it. However, do not open up the Time Machine drive to look for files. Always enter Time Machine first and use the Finder - like dialog to navigate in order to find files and folders.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.