Firewall prompt everytime i open certian Programs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I get this incoming connections prompt every time I open certian progrmas, for example when I open iTunes it pops up every time. I have the allow connection in the firewall pane set, yet it still does it. here are some pics.

a>

Here is a pic of the Firewall Settings:

ScreenShot2015-01-18at125158PM.png

How do I fix this problem????

Thank you

C

chas_m

Turn off the firewall. Why do you think you need it? You are already behind a firewall -- a superior hardware firewall -- courtesy of your router. There's a reason why Apple ships these machines with the software firewall off, and you've just discovered it. Just turn it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Most iTunes connections are outbound. At least, according to Little Snitch ;)

M

MacInWin

I'll disagree with chas_m a bit on this. If your Mac is a MacbookPro and you take your MBP out to use public networks, leave the firewall on. If it's an iMac and never leaves your house, then what chas_m said is ok but in my setup, I have my firewall ON on the iMac and see no problems with it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll also disagree with chas on this. It does no harm to leave your firewall on even though your router is providing the service. Yes, it's off by default because Apple has assumed that in today's modern internet connections that a router or router - modem setup is between your Mac and the net. But like Jake stated, when you go somewhere to use free internet like at Starbucks or Panera, you want that firewall on. And if you're forgetful (like me) it's best to leave it on at all times. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Meet halfway fellahs eh? When at home behind your router, turn the firweall off, when you go to Starbucks etc, by all means turn it on in a WiFi hotspot. I am sure this is what chas m meant without ever, ever trying to put words in his mouth!

M

MacInWin

That would work, except that I forget every time I go out with the MBP to turn the firewall on. So now I just leave it on all the time. If it's set up correctly, it's invisible to me so there is no downside to leaving it on, IMHO. But if it conflicts with your router and you cannot solve it, then turn it off at home, on when out. My caution is that the ONE time you forget and are sitting in Starbucks and just HAVE to check your bank balance, is the one time the blackhat will be there with a sniffer. That's how the world works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Buy some hot pink ribbon Jake and tie it around the handle so when you sit at Starbacks a 'seniors' flash will hit you "Now what the heck did I tie that on there for?"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am sure this is what chas m meant without ever, ever trying to put words in his mouth!

LOL Harry, I would "never" presume anyone would or could do that. (Sorry chas, just joshing you a bit.) :)

M

MacInWin

Buy some hot pink ribbon Jake and tie it around the handle so when you sit at Starbacks a 'seniors' flash will hit you "Now what the heck did I tie that on there for?"
Heh, and I will still not remember to turn on the firewall!

C

chas_m

I'm unclear on why you guys think the router in the Starbucks is magically different than the one in your home. Maybe go ask to see where its located and you'll discover it's probably not a commercial-grade router, just a common home-use one nine times out of 10 (I'm talking about neighbourhood coffee shops, not like at the airport here).

But even if it isn't, do you seriously believe that the router at Starbucks doesn't have a firewall? Really? Do you know of ANY commercial-grade routers that don't come with a firewall on by default??

Short of someone running truly ancient (like 20-year-old) router hardware, the odds of you running into a hotspot -- public or private -- that doesn't have a hardware firewall on in the civilized world is nil. And if you ever do, you'll know it IMMEDIATELY. How? Because their Internet won't work, since they're being attacked by a DDoS attack.

People have a really weird and largely inaccurate impression of what a firewall does in the first place, but the issue of whether there's a hardware firewall on the network you're connected to has been the same for at least the last 10 years: yes it does. Regardless of what network you're connected to.

Feel free not to take my word for it. Here's some supporting documentation:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums...ardware-firewall-device?forum=onecarefirewall

How to Turn Off Netgear Firewall - Troubleshooting Netgear Router Connection Problems

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101024110228AAlayQ2

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081124094307AAfZ0hP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't matter. The whole point here is that it does no harm to keep your software firewall on even if you're behind a router. The Starbucks and Panera were just examples and again, whether or not they have a direct connection or using a router, leaving your software firewall on does not interfere in any way.

Quit being an Apple "purist". ;)

Reaction score
I noticed that on my Mac if I block incoming for a particular application it does not work. Incoming information still is allowed. Have you tried testing the behavior say on a known application like Safari?

Hi guys,

I get this incoming connections prompt every time I open certian progrmas, for example when I open iTunes it pops up every time. I have the allow connection in the firewall pane set, yet it still does it. here are some pics.

a>

Here is a pic of the Firewall Settings:

ScreenShot2015-01-18at125158PM.png

How do I fix this problem????

Thank you

C

chas_m

It doesn't matter. The whole point here is that it does no harm to keep your software firewall on even if you're behind a router.

I refer you to the first post in this thread (and hundreds of other threads on this very forum) that would suggest that the typical "merkin" thinking that if one firewall is good, two is twice is good ... is wrong.

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the reason for running a firewall at the local Starbucks or any other hotspot was to kill any "man in the middle" type attacks from others using the same router/hotspot.
With that many people on the same router I'd want more protection.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with having the firewall on especially at remote locations.

Also Chas, not all Firewalls are equal. SOME routers still do not have a true SPI or better hardware firewall. If you feel that makes no difference, come here and I will show you the Log from a Good Hardware firewall using SPI or SPI2. Shocking all it's protecting me from! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.