• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 10.0.6 & Blu-ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Core i5 Quad - Mac Mini c2d - iPad Pro - iPhone 11 - ATV3
Hi All

I am so sorry if this has been posted or asked before. To be honest, I'm absolutely sick to death of this subject and the endless questions that spring from it, but I thought I would ask the experts as I seem to have headed down a cul-de-sac and can only reverse out! Anyway, here goes.

I have used many video editors in the past with varying success. I took the plunge this year and bought a HD camcorder that records in AVCHD and I have been very pleased with the results. I managed to edit the footage in FCE 4 and burn a DVD which was fine, but obviously this was in SD.

I then tried iMovie (which I have always hated with a passion) and found, on the third or fourth attempt, that it was not as bad as I had previously experienced, but again, I had to export to DVD. Since then, I have bought a Blu-ray burner and invested in Adobe Premiere Elements 12 for Mac, and after much messing around, managed to edit and author/burn a Blu-ray disc with excellent results. So why this post?

Adobe Premiere Elements was a REAL pain to use. It was incredibly glitchy, it crashed on numerous occasions, some edited footage retained the content I had cut out (how, I do not know) and audio & video transitions required TOO much work in order to work correctly.

So now I ask (before I go back to iMovie and spend hours trying to do something it may not do) if I can do the following:

1. Can I edit my AVCHD content in iMovie (10.0.6) and export it in a suitable file to burn to Blu-ray (retaining maximum quality ) successfully ?

2. Could I import the said file into Premiere Elements in order to author it for Blu-Ray as I have no other authoring app at the moment.

3. If none of the above apply....what can I edit the footage on that will give me excellent results on a Blu-ray disc.

Sorry for the ramble, but as I said at the top...I'm just about sick and tired of trying different editing methods with varying results.

Please help.

Philip

Reaction score
Honestly for editing i would use Final cut studio it does cost a bit but at least you can write a better blu-ray disk and get better quality or you could try your option of adobe premier and see if you can get it from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.