New Hard Drive for 2011 MBP. Need to install latest software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not bad.
I am having trouble doing any solid research as my current MBP keeps crashing. Lucky if I get 20 minutes on it before I have to restart it.

Can anyone run me though briefly how to get the latest software onto my new seagate/samsung 500gb 2.5" hard drive?

Many thanks in advance.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not bad.
Will I need any install discs or anything? Or is there an option to access web with empty drive?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not enough information.

- What "latest software" are you talking about?
- What OS version do you want to install?
- Where is this 2.5" drive located (external or internal)?

I'm sure you totally understand what's going on at your end. But what was written does not give us enough info to understand things.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not bad.
Hi.

Yeah here is info sorry.

MBP 2011 13"
MAC OSC 10.7.5
PROCESSOR: 2.3GHz Core i5
4GB MEMORY 1333 MHz DDR3

My Hard drive has been failing this last 10 days and I am surprised it has let me get this far.

New internal will be here tomorrow.

500gb Samsung/Seagate 2.5" SATA

I am also going to upgrade my 4gb to 8gb or more in the next couple of weeks.

I have heard the latest OS is free. I will want this version. Or any version that is free online.

Do I have to download this on CD and insert on new internal drive or access the internet via newly installed drive??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since OS 10.7.5 was installed previously & since this is going to be a brand new hard drive…what you're going to want to do is "Internet Recovery". Here's an Apple document explaining:

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Once you have 10.7.5 reinstalled…then you can upgrade to OS 10.10 (Yosemite)…which like you mentioned…is free.:)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not bad.
Do I have to install old OS on a new hard drive?

I thought I could just put a whole new OS on? Or is this because the machine itself such as the boards have been using 10.7.5?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought I could just put a whole new OS on? Or is this because the machine itself such as the boards have been using 10.7.5?

The document linked above includes this statement:

"If you use Internet Recovery to reinstall OS X, it installs the version of OS X that originally came with your computer. After installation is finished, use the Mac App Store to install related updates or later versions of OS X that you have previously purchased."

It has to do with the "Internet Recovery" procedure. As the document states…Internet Recovery will install the OS that originally shipped with the computer. If the computer original shipped with something older than 10.7…then this wouldn't be possible. But…since you did have OS 10.7.5 installed previously…then Internet Recovery should be able to install 10.7.

A newer OS cannot be installed via Internet Recovery because the computer did not originally ship with anything newer.

As stated in my earlier post. You need to (via Internet Recovery) install 10.7…then via the App Store…install the newer OS you want (10.10).

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not bad.
OK thanks for that I will be on it tonight fingers crossed all well.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It should go smoothly.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.