• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Use mobile phone w/unlimited LTE for home internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
So I'm currently getting teamed by TWC for home internet and just changed to T-Mo for mobile service. I noticed I could add another T-Mo line w/unlimited internet for $40/mo. Is it a crazy idea to get that line, a cheap android phone and use it for dedicated home internet service? It would be cheaper and faster than TWC!

Anyone done this or heard of anyone doing it successfully?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have T-Mobile with two lines and occasionally use it to setup a hot spot when Verizon (my isp) goes down. It works well enough but even with 4G LTE speeds it doesn't match having a fast connection with an ISP such as Verizon, Comcast, etc.

I guess if T-Mobile is going to give you unlimited data for the extra $40 per month, it would be worth it. T-Mobile does not require a contract so if it doesn't work out the way you want, you can always cancel the service.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have no idea how your carrier rolls but do they throttle data speed if you go over a particular limit? If so, you're much better off sticking with a regular networking plan which will afford you considerably more bandwidth.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I can get speeds of 15 down and 5 up real speeds on my phone with T-Mo, which is on par with advertised speeds of TWC's basic service. IT's just my wife and I and we don't double stream or anything ,so I think it should be plenty.

T-Mo does have plans that throttle back from LTE to lower speeds after a certain amount of usage, but their unlimited plan is supposed to be unlimited LTE with no throttling.

There's chance they may take it down when I start getting 50GB+ a month, but since it's not contract I can just shut down that line and sell the phone. The only downside is I don't know how good the connection will be if the phone providing internet is upstairs and we've using the internet downstairs. I'll have to test it out using my own phone.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
T-Mo does have plans that throttle back from LTE to lower speeds after a certain amount of usage, but their unlimited plan is supposed to be unlimited LTE with no throttling.
That may be the case but they might have an abuse of service policy. My carrier, for example, has as part of its acceptable use policy a clause on, "generating levels of traffic sufficient to impede others' ability to send or retrieve information, or to use the Services in an abusive manner in connection with any unlimited packages, options or promotions." I'm not sure how a "data plan as internet connection" falls with regards to something like that (I guess it would all depend on how much traffic you use).

The only downside is I don't know how good the connection will be if the phone providing internet is upstairs and we've using the internet downstairs. I'll have to test it out using my own phone.
Could you not just plug the phone in somewhere else in your house?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.