No bootable Device problem (BootCamp)

Reaction score
hi

i have MBP 13.3 , i wanted to install Windows 7 with bootcamp
every thing went well
i formatted the usb (FAT) , i made it bootable with bootcamp
when i restart my mac to boot with the usb and install windows

it says "No bootable Device,please insert a disk device and press any key to boot"

i searched for this problem before i make this post , but all of it were worthless

one of the solution was that when i format the usb i need to make it MBR or something like that , i did it with Disk utility and it did not work !

please is there a way to fix this , or at least to install windows 7 in another way ?

Note : i have OS X 10.10 Yosemite

thank you​

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need to know the exact model MacBook Pro you have as that will make a difference on how you install Windows via Boot Camp. Give us the year and model and specifically if your MacBook Pro has an optical drive.

OP
K
Reaction score
We need to know the exact model MacBook Pro you have as that will make a difference on how you install Windows via Boot Camp. Give us the year and model and specifically if your MacBook Pro has an optical drive.

its a MacBook Pro late 2011 13.3 inch

Model Identifier : MacBookPro8,1

and yes it has an optical drive

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
and yes it has an optical drive

That's what I thought. You can not use a USB flash drive to install Windows 7 with that machine because you have an optical drive. Yes, there are work arounds, but they're troublesome and will usually fail.

Follow the Boot Camp instructions and use your optical drive and the Windows 7 DVD to install and you should be OK.

OP
K
Reaction score
That's what I thought. You can not use a USB flash drive to install Windows 7 with that machine because you have an optical drive. Yes, there are work arounds, but they're troublesome and will usually fail.

Follow the Boot Camp instructions and use your optical drive and the Windows 7 DVD to install and you should be OK.

hi

i just reinstalled os x , before that i did the same way and it worked , i can't understand why it won't work know

about the work around it seems that its true , because i did it now and it did not work

now if i used a dvd are u sure that it will work ?

thank you for your help :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you follow the Boot Camp instructions, it should work. Installing Windows using a USB flash drive will work and is designed to work with Macs that do not have an optical drive. If your machine has an optical drive, then you should use the Boot Camp instructions that apply to you. If it worked for you before, then you used a work around.

The problem you run into is that there are no drivers loaded for the USB flash drive until after Windows is installed, and therefore Windows will tell you that there is no bootable device.

OP
K
Reaction score
If you follow the Boot Camp instructions, it should work. Installing Windows using a USB flash drive will work and is designed to work with Macs that do not have an optical drive. If your machine has an optical drive, then you should use the Boot Camp instructions that apply to you. If it worked for you before, then you used a work around.

The problem you run into is that there are no drivers loaded for the USB flash drive until after Windows is installed, and therefore Windows will tell you that there is no bootable device.

Hi
I did what you said and all went well
But I made a big big mistake
When I was inside Windows I tried to make a D disk so I took from the main disk
And shirked it, and something happened, than I restarted my Mac
And Windows was the main boot, and it won't boot and there was a blue screen comes fast, and than the Mac restarted again, I tried to press option button and boot to os x
But there was only Windows to boot from, and there is no recovery to boot from
I'm so stupid ��

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like you have formatted the entire drive NTFS which is not hard to do believe you me. Simply a matter of clicking the wrong line whilst setting up. Your MBPcame with leion OPS X.7. S till got the install disc or you can purchase one from Apple. Still only $20 including postage.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

OP
K
Reaction score
Sounds like you have formatted the entire drive NTFS which is not hard to do believe you me. Simply a matter of clicking the wrong line whilst setting up. Your MBPcame with leion OPS X.7. S till got the install disc or you can purchase one from Apple. Still only $20 including postage.

OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple Store (U.S.)

Hi
What do I need to do after I get lion os x?
Can I boot with the disk?
And can I download lion from my account in app store than burn it to dvd than use it to boot?
Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.