Java Runtime security

Reaction score
I had to install Java Runtime in order to allow me to access an online doctorate program that I will be starting in a few weeks. I have heard about all of the security issues with Java, but I had no choice but to install it.

What can I do to minimize any security breaches through this program? Is there an easy way to essentially turn it on and off with each online session I have to view, or would I have to uninstall and reinstall each session?

Thanks guys!

C

chas_m

What can I do to minimize any security breaches through this program?

Keep it up to date.

Is there an easy way to essentially turn it on and off with each online session I have to view, or would I have to uninstall and reinstall each session?

No need for all that. You can install a plug-in blocker if you're really that concerned, which by default leaves Java and Flash off unless you specifically click on the blocked content to allow it to be used.

OP
S
Reaction score
Keep it up to date.

No need for all that. You can install a plug-in blocker if you're really that concerned, which by default leaves Java and Flash off unless you specifically click on the blocked content to allow it to be used.

Thanks for the quick reply Chas! One other dumb question...how do I check for updates? I don't see Java in my Applications folder to allow me to open it and manually check for updates.

C

chas_m

Once you've installed Java on your Mac, there is a Java System Preferences panel that -- like Java itself -- is a little weird, but works. You can see if you need to update from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.