• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

imovie 10.0.4 importing clips help

Reaction score
Hello,

Just a quick question that I'm sure is pretty simple, but just want to make sure i do it correctly.

Iv got lots of imported footage off my camcorder and have them saved in the movies folder
USER - MOVIES -

I have imported some of these into iMovie and have made a movie. Here are the questions -

1) Now i have imported them can i either delete them or move them to an external HD without it causing a problem or will it no longer relate to where it was imported from and when i come to import into IDVD have problems? i had issues where i imported pics in iMovie 6HD (my last experience with iMovie!) and then when i deleted them or moved them to another location the warning symbol used to appear and say the image could no longer be found.

2) I'm new to iMovie 10 (last used iMovie 6HD) and just wondered once i have made the movie - moved the clips to the timeline can i delete them from the panel above, iMovie 6 used to move the clips from the viewing panel and then into the timeline and that was it- (I'm guessing the viewing panel is all the imported files and the 'library' so deleting these will then delete the clips from the timeline.

Also, lastly, when i used to clip clips and delete clips they used to go to the trash and once emptied space would become available - when delete clips/clip clips i don't seem to get any empty trash options in iMovie 10. does space automatically become available or what?

sorry if these are really obvious but i don't want to delete/move files to then realise iv inadvertently deleted my movie

Cheers in advance,

Vinnie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
When you import video into iMovie, it store it in the iMovie Library folder that is in your Movies folder.

You delete/move the original footage form your Movies folder without affecting iMovie.

just wondered once i have made the movie - moved the clips to the timeline can i delete them from the panel above
However, if you do that, then you have deleted the same from you Project which you probably don't want to do.

i don't seem to get any empty trash options in iMovie 10
If you delete something from iMovie10, it goes direct to your Mac's Trash, so until you clear the Trash on your Mac, it's still there.

OP
V
Reaction score
if i have the imported clips in a folder on my desktop, (already imported) can i then move the original files onto an external hd without affecting the movies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Yes, as per my previous post. If you've imported them into iMovie, then they are also in the iMovie Library file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.