putting you mac and PC in a network

S

skateit12

what is the easiest way to link your Mac and PC so you can share files between them? I heard you can do this through firewire but i am not sure how to do so. Is there an easier way than through firewire?

OP
S

skateit12

they are already connected through a router but iunno how to send files from one to the other

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
skateit12 said:
they are already connected through a router but iunno how to send files from one to the other

What kind of router do you have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
If they're already on the same network, you need to go into networking preferences on the Mac, and enable an option called Windows File Sharing. Then, on the Windows box, make sure the drives you want to share are shared in their properties/preferences.

OP
S

skateit12

kaidomac said:
What kind of router do you have?

D-Link 604

Meyvn said:
If they're already on the same network, you need to go into networking preferences on the Mac, and enable an option called Windows File Sharing. Then, on the Windows box, make sure the drives you want to share are shared in their properties/preferences.

thats my problem, im not sue if there in the same network. If they are hooked up through the same router are they autimattically in the same network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
skateit12 said:
D-Link 604

thats my problem, im not sue if there in the same network. If they are hooked up through the same router are they autimattically in the same network?

Yup. Have a look here for basic setup:

http://macs.about.com/cs/tipstutorials/a/xp_osx_sharing.htm

Also, are you running a software firewall on your PC? You may need to add your internal network to the trusted zone. I have a how-to for ZoneAlarm in my blog, just scroll down a bit:

http://mcproject.blogspot.com/2006/01/getting-unwired.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
skateit12 said:
you are my hero thats exactly what i needed thanx a lot

No problem, let us know if you run into any snags. Networked filesharing is a Good Thing :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.