good USB KVM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I'm looking for a basic USB KVM. Basically I want to hook up a Mac to an LCD monitor via DVI and a Windows laptop to the same LCD but via VGA. I really only need a KVM that can handle splitting a USB signal for my USB keyboard and USB mouse. Is there anything cheap that will do this? I don't want to spend $80+ on a full-blown KVM since I don't need the video aspect, and if it's more than like $20 I might as well just unplug the two cables from the laptop and plug them into the Mac when I want to switch ;)

Reaction score
Judging from how you explained your setup, you might like this better, synergy. Basically, it's a program you install on your windows PC and your mac (they have installers for both, and linux too) and then you just network your two computers (all you need is an ethernet cable since your mac and laptop should have the ethernet ports)...and you're set.

What does it do? well you can have your mac connected to the lcd, have the laptop open running off of its own screen, and then use ONE keyboard/mouse (say from your mac) to control either the mac or pc laptop. You can move the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen on your mac and have it appear on the pc (the keyboard switches over automatically). You can copy and paste text between them too.

I use this with my desktop pc and powerbook and it's great!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
zeta101 said:
Judging from how you explained your setup, you might like this better, synergy. Basically, it's a program you install on your windows PC and your mac (they have installers for both, and linux too) and then you just network your two computers (all you need is an ethernet cable since your mac and laptop should have the ethernet ports)...and you're set.

What does it do? well you can have your mac connected to the lcd, have the laptop open running off of its own screen, and then use ONE keyboard/mouse (say from your mac) to control either the mac or pc laptop. You can move the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen on your mac and have it appear on the pc (the keyboard switches over automatically). You can copy and paste text between them too.

I use this with my desktop pc and powerbook and it's great!

Ah, I had forgotten about synergy. Good stuff. The problem is that I don't want to use my laptop's screen at all. I want to use a single LCD monitor. My laptop only has VGA out, and the LCD monitor has VGA in as well as DVI in. This way I can have the Mac and my laptop hooked up at the same time, the laptop via VGA and the Mac via DVI. At least until I can afford a second cool monitor ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.