AirTunes into Existing Network

Reaction score
I'm in the UK and have broadband, which is connected to a Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router. To this I have one PC connected by ethernet and one iBook connected wirelessly using WPA encryption.

I'd like to integrate an Airtunes device into this network, but I don't want to use it as a network point etc, simply to stream music to my hifi. So, is it possible to just integrate it into an existing network as another device?

Also, I have some music on my iBook, and my wife has some on her PC upstairs (which have been purchased from iTunes store). If we share our music (and authorise each machine if needed) so that each machine can see the other, can I contol the Airtunes player through my iTunes, and play music from my wifes PC?

Hope that makes sense!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Yes you can add an Airtunes to an existing network. Under the airport network>wireless mode select join existing wireless network. You'll also be able to choose the AirTunes for playback from either machine running itunes but not both at once.

If you are on the same network as your Wife (or anyone else for that matter) and both running iTunes, use the sharing option under preferences to allow each others libraries to appear on each others iTunes source lists. No authorization required.

OP
C
Reaction score
Excellent, so if the wifes machine is on upstairs, and her music is shared, and I can access it on my iBook downstairs, as long as I'm using the iBook to control the AirTunes (it'd never be the PC upstairs anyway) then I can play music from my own iBook or music from my wifes PC, via my iBook.

Cool :)

Ta

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.