Few question..

D

Drew_

These are some somewhat newbie questions, but I'm thinking about switching from pc/linux to a mac. MacBook Pro specifically. :batman:

Anyway, Since os x is built on darwin unix (right?) is there a terminal? I was messing with a macbook at an apple store today and didnt see one. I use my terminal alot, its just easier to do things sometimes.

Also, Do any of you have recommendations for any of these types of programs?

I need an ftp program, ssh program (or terminal^), an IM program that has support for msn/yahoo/aim, and I think thats it..

OP
D

Drew_

Oh, also, is it wise to wait until some bugs are working out of the MacBook Pro? I was also contemplating the 17" PowerBook. But.. If I get the MacBook Pro I could spend the extra money I save on the 20" display I would also like. I would have to wait if I bought the 17" PowerBook.. But I would have a bigger display when on the go. oooooh the decisions. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would recommend getting the macbook pro, over the 17inch powerbook.

drew said:
Anyway, Since os x is built on darwin unix (right?) is there a terminal? I was messing with a macbook at an apple store today and didnt see one. I use my terminal alot, its just easier to do things sometimes.

Yes there is a terminal but it is very powerful so i believe that they remove it from the systems in the apple store so people can not change anything they are not suppose to do..

drew said:
an IM program that has support for msn/yahoo/aim, and I think thats it..

the program "adium" www.adiumx.com is amazing. I use it and most people here use it as well.

I am sorry I don't use ftp, so I can not recommend a ftp client.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
yes there is a terminal and i believe adium x is the program you'd want to use for multiple im support.

hopefully someone else can chime in and be a little more descriptive than me :dive:

*doh powerbookg4 beat me to it.

OP
D

Drew_

Thanks, I appreciate your quick responses. I didnt even think they would have it shut off at the store. Good point. :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As has been said, there is a Terminal, it's in Utilities off of Applications.

Adium is probably the best multi chat client for OSX. There are others but Adium is the most liked and updated.

There are a lot of good GUI type FTP clients, I like Transmit but it's a pay program. A good free FTP progie is Cyberduck.

OP
L

liberal123

Yeah agree'd on the IM front, Adium X is definately a winner :)

and again on free FTP programs, Cyberduck is allll good and easy to use :D

Reaction score
Yes, cyberduck all the way, it get's surprisingly good upload speeds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.