Can't download purchased music to another computer with same account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15-inch, Late 2011 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Hello,
I've really never had many problems with iTunes but the other day I purchased a song on my iPhone. When I looked at my MBP (where I normally sync my iphone), the song was there. I wanted to have the same song on my iMac in my office to listen to. I didn't see it in iTunes with the same account that I use for my MBP. When I looked up the song in iTunes store it shows that the song is purchased but I have no way of downloading it to my iMac's iTunes. I've even connected my iphone to my iMac to see if I could do it that way. Short of having to erase my iTunes library from my MBP and starting it over with the library from my iMac I was unsuccessful. Any suggestions?? Also, sorry in advance if I'm in the wrong category. I didn't see any for general questions.
Thanks in advance for any and all help provided.

DJBearOH

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Questions about iTunes and music belong in this forum. I moved it for you.

Did you try copying your iTunes library from your MBP to your iMac? Or at least the songs that you already purchased and wish to play from your iMac at the office? And did you authorize your iMac from your iTunes account? Assuming of course you're using the same Apple ID on both your MBP and iMac.

OP
DJBearOH
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15-inch, Late 2011 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
I haven't copied anything from my MBP's iTunes over to my iMac because I'm not sure how to do that. I have a good idea though. So, if I were to copy the song from my MBP to my iMac, would it have the same artwork and would it show up in iTunes on my iMac?
Is there a reason that I wouldn't be able to just redownload the song from iTunes Store to my iMac?

OP
DJBearOH
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, harryb, that will help a lot to listen to my music from one iTunes to my office computer. I am very curious about your signature and how to create a bootable USB thumb drive. Can you please provide any info or links on how I would be able to do that? I do use Time Machine to back up my computers every week but as an old PC user I would like to be able to have the option to have a USB as a bootable drive in case of an emergency. Again, thanks everyone for the iTunes sharing help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
DiskMaker X

That little app will do it all for you. Download Tosemite etc., but do not run the Installer. Have an 8GB thumb drive connected, and start LionDiskMakerX and it will do the rest, format the thumb drive and install. Then the thumb drive is bootable the same as a DVD, connect up, reboot and hold down 'C' to boot from it.

My name is Harry, surname starts with B and 2448 is my Aussie post code. Nothing unusual there.

OP
DJBearOH
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harry,

Thanks for the info for DiskMaker.
Would I be able to use a DVD to create it or does it have to be a USB thumb drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need a flash drive of at least 8 GB in size which means you can not use a DVD disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.