PC traitor with a question

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just bought my first MacBook after 20+ years on PCs. I had a couple of drinks and stupidly decided to set up my new MacBook. It asked me for so many passwords and wouldn't accept many that I use all the time. Now I'm wishing I had used different passwords. I don't even know what apps/programs were requiring passwords, but it was at least 4 or 5 passwords. I'm wondering if I might be better off just doing a restore to factory settings and start over. Is that easy to do? Is it in any way harmful? Thanks for any advice!

C

chas_m

A Mac system generally consists of no more than four passwords for general functioning:

1. Administrative password -- this is to install software and log you into the system or make changes to the system. Normally this is only needed when doing those operations.

2. A Wi-Fi password -- not needed if you're not using Wi-Fi, but who isn't anymore?

3. An Apple ID/iTunes password -- based on your present email address. Not strictly mandatory, but terribly useful.

4. If you're also setting up a new Wi-Fi router, you'll want to put a password on its settings so that nobody else can change them.

As for whether you're better off just erasing and starting over, the answer is "depends." You didn't mention what kind of MacBook or how old it is. If it is one that is a few years old AND came with the system and apps installation on DVD, then yes, you can start over fairly painlessly. If it didn't, then it's probably best to just stay with what you have set up.

You can change most passwords fairly easily. They are located in Keychain Access, and require your admin password to access. Should you wish to change the admin password, have a look at this.

OP
T
Reaction score
It's a brand new late 2013 MacBook pro. No optical drive, so maybe the factory reset is more trouble than it's worth. Thanks so much for the reply, chas_m. It's exactly what I needed.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.