• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Cant see what i did today on iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2019, 2.4GHz i9, 64Gb Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8Gb, 2Tb SSD
Hello
I was working on a project on iMovie today, but my macbook had quite a few kernel panics in the process and rebooted, i regualarly closed down imovie and reopened it inbetween the panics to prevent any loss of work
But after the last panic it did, once i restarted the computer i couldnt get the project back up, now it only shows these two projects:
cit_zps945a6e22.jpg

Have i lost my work or is there any way to get the project back, it says all projects 1 of 5 selected but only shows 2, where are the other 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
iMovie saves in the own folder so have a look under the recent project saved if they have saved. But first you need to find out why you having kernel panics regular. Check Ram chips are seated correctly. Ensure the fan is working and clean of dust. Have you install extra hard drives or equipment that might be hogging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yeah, what leadfoot said. The kernel panics are an indication of a problem. When did they start? If it is the macbook pro you have listed under your name, I noticed you upgraded the memory and the hard drive. If you could post what the kernel panic file says that would help us narrow down the possible problem.

Lisa

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have discussed the kernel panic elsewhere its a GPU problem, ive read a number of threads about the same problem happening on other macbooks, it needs to be fixed and ill send it off to a repair place once they are open again, its something ive been putting up with but its gets worse when using imovie. But i just want to be able to finish this off.

I just want to be able to open up my project again, if i go to my movies folder, then imovie library, right click on show package contents, i can see the project i did yesterday named with the right name of the project i was working on
file_zps7e043807.jpg

But what do i do to get it opened up on imovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With all the issues you have been having with the gpu and kernel panics it is possible the files got corrupted during the crashes. Here is some information I found that may help:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4061

Fixing corrupted iMovie files - CNET

The first article is more current but I found the second article to be interesting so I am including it.
I am assuming you do not have another mac that you could move the files to. I am afraid the gpu issue is still going to be a problem no matter what you do.

Lisa

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help lisa, i have just done a backup of my macbook onto an external HDD, and also backed up the footage onto a USB pen, the macbook at the moment is far too tempermental to use imovie on anymore.

Im thinking of putting it on ebay as faulty or trading it in and getting a used Mac Pro 3.1 desktop, i assume if anything goes wrong on a desktop the parts can be changed much easier. I dont have another mac, just an old windows XP laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do understand your frustration. I use Premiere Pro for video work. One nice thing is you can designate where all the files go - like to an external drive. So I can move that external drive to another computer with Pro on it and just pick right up where I left off. I had a project I started on my Windows editor which decided to have a bad day. Since the project had to get done, I moved it to my MB Pro to finish it.

You can do that with iMovie '11 too: iMovie '11: Copy or move a project to an external hard disk

I am not sure what version you are using but for future reference it could be useful to know.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.