Privacy and Apple ID's

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a MacBook, and I've been developing an interest in the Apple ID, since it's the same across multiple devices. I've also read about some privacy issues with Apple, namely the Unique Device ID's and the Safari search stuff.

So this is all starting to make me wonder -- given that you're signed in with an Apple ID on a device at any given time, and Apple knows exactly what device that is (as they're all linked to your account), can they develop a profile of say, your browsing habits/history or whatever else you might be doing on your computer or iPhone, and link that to your Apple ID?

Or is the Apple ID more limited that I'm thinking?

Anyway, I'm just wondering. I never thought this was a concern with Windows, but Apple seems to have the utmost control over both their hardware and their software.

Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I am understanding what you are asking correctly that is entirely possible but not necessarilly due to the use of the Apple ID. Amazon, for example, does something similar to what I think you are talking about based strictly on an e-mail address.

I've ordered from Amazon a few times and have noticed the level of tracking that they use. If I sign in tonight and look for some product, within the next 24-48 hours I will receive an e-mail describing their product offerings in that category.

M

MacInWin

I never thought this was a concern with Windows, but Apple seems to have the utmost control over both their hardware and their software.
You think MS doesn't try to follow their customers? Ever get a software update from MS? They track just about everything on a PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.