Installing larger flash drive

Reaction score
I have a 512 gb flash drive on my MacBook Pro. I moved all my files from my PC some months ago, but realized that the 512 GB flash drive is going to run out of room soon. Can a larger flash drive be installed (not by me of course) and all the files on the present flash drive transferred over?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a 512 gb flash drive on my MacBook Pro. I moved all my files from my PC some months ago, but realized that the 512 GB flash drive is going to run out of room soon. Can a larger flash drive be installed (not by me of course) and all the files on the present flash drive transferred over?

Well, you'll need to provide more information on your MBPro, i.e. model/year - also, if you want to go to say 1 TB as an internal SSD, then not an inexpensive upgrade - check Other World Computing to match your MBP model to a SSD size of your choice to see the price. Dave :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, you'll need to provide more information on your MBPro, i.e. model/year - also, if you want to go to say 1 TB as an internal SSD, then not an inexpensive upgrade - check Other World Computing to match your MBP model to a SSD size of your choice to see the price. Dave :)

MacBook Pro, purchased new in September 2014. Yosemite OS. Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
MacBook Pro, purchased new in September 2014. Yosemite OS. Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Hi again - well I went to my link and your model is so new, I did not see a listing - I have a MBPro 10,2 (spring 2013) - a 1 TB SSD replacement is over $500, so likely comparable to what you would need. You can contact them - I'm sure there is one (or soon to be) available. Dave :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi again - well I went to my link and your model is so new, I did not see a listing - I have a MBPro 10,2 (spring 2013) - a 1 TB SSD replacement is over $500, so likely comparable to what you would need. You can contact them - I'm sure there is one (or soon to be) available. Dave :)

Thank you. I didn't see one for my model either. I still have about 50 GB free, so I'll have time to think about what I want to do. What I would really like to do is move all my photos (which takes up the most space) onto a blank EHD and work with that file from there, but then I don't think my Time Machine would back them up from EHD. So I am at a quandary as to what direction to go. I didn't think through my initial Mac purchase or I would have gotten a bigger internal flash drive.

As they say, hind sight has 20/20 vision.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
While Time Machine is not useful for making backups of an external hard drive, Carbon Copy Cloner is. I highly recommend purchasing CCC and use it to backup your external hard drive(s). Even if Mac Sales should come up with a replacement kit for you rMBP flash drive, it's a difficult procedure, expensive, and may void your warranty. Apple has not yet approved replacing the flash drives in the retina machines as they have replacing the spinning hard drives in other older model MacBook Pros.

OP
P
Reaction score
While Time Machine is not useful for making backups of an external hard drive, Carbon Copy Cloner is. I highly recommend purchasing CCC and use it to backup your external hard drive(s). Even if Mac Sales should come up with a replacement kit for you rMBP flash drive, it's a difficult procedure, expensive, and may void your warranty. Apple has not yet approved replacing the flash drives in the retina machines as they have replacing the spinning hard drives in other older model MacBook Pros.

I looked around at the CCC site, and found no information concerning backing up external hard drives. Is that all it does, or does it also back up internal flash/hard drives in the Mac itself?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Carbon Copy Cloner will backup internal and external hard drives. It can also "clone" an internal hard drive, flash drive to an external drive and render it bootable. It can clone an external hard drive to another external hard drive. Many of us use CCC in addition to Time Machine. Well worth the $40 day registration fee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
CCC can work with any mounted drive or volume. And either just some selected data or complete clones and can even clone/copy from any external to another external.

And yes, even any internal drive as well. ;)

Sorry for any duplication chscag, but it can't hurt. ;)

OP
P
Reaction score
Carbon Copy Cloner will backup internal and external hard drives. It can also "clone" an internal hard drive, flash drive to an external drive and render it bootable. It can clone an external hard drive to another external hard drive. Many of us use CCC in addition to Time Machine. Well worth the $40 day registration fee.

When you say "registration fee", what does that mean? It didn't say on the web site either. I subscribe to Carbonite which only backs up files and for my Mac it is $59 a year. So, I'm confused as to what the $40 is for. Just to register? Yearly?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The $40 is the cost of the Carbon Copy Cloner program. It was free at one time IIRC but it isn't anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.