How about a Mac Wiki?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I originally posted the idea over here. Why don't we start a Mac Forums Wiki as a collective knowledge repository? The Search feature of these forums isn't especially great, plus it'd be nice to have something to point people to when they ask repetitive questions. It'd also be nice to store links to aftermarket components, upgrade tutorials, and other articles & guides. I'd love to have a better place to put my tutorials on upgrading the G4 Cube, G4 Mini, and Intel Mini, as well as installing a wireless network, doing file sharing, setting up a media center system using a Mac, and so on. Just imagine: a constantly updated live Mac encyclopedia by the members, for the members. How bout it? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I actually like the idea alot, hopefull a mod will feel the same way. (although the person who really has to approve is is schweb)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
What about just having a thread where people can come in, ask if there's a thread containing whatever information they need to know and people just link them to it.

A 'Can you link me to this?' thread!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
A thread gets somewhat confusing at times...A wiki where you could make specific sections and everyone could edit it would most likely be best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
macAttack said:
A thread gets somewhat confusing at times...A wiki where you could make specific sections and everyone could edit it would most likely be best.

You wouldn't have to search through the thread, you just ask whether someone's already asked a question and someone will reply!

I've never really used wikipedia so I don't really know how it works. I only use it for quick searches for help with coursework, I should probably get round to having a proper peruse!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thanks for the suggestion. We have tried similar things in the past (for example having a FAQ's forum where members could draft FAQs about topics to point people to) however there was never enough members willing to help with it to make it viable.

Unfortunately the staff here wouldn't have the time to maintain it all since we are all volunteer and very busy outside of these boards. In the future, if more members were interested in seriously developing and maintaining it, it might be an option.

I personally hate the wiki format so I wouldn't have anything to do with it lol ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
reasonable enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I could help out if you need me to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to_tough_to_die said:
I could help out if you need me to.

I am also willing to help, write a few articles on knowledge i have or research i do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Mod Note: Split discussion of switcher wiki to another thread in switcher's hangout.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
schweb said:
Thanks for the suggestion. We have tried similar things in the past (for example having a FAQ's forum where members could draft FAQs about topics to point people to) however there was never enough members willing to help with it to make it viable.

Unfortunately the staff here wouldn't have the time to maintain it all since we are all volunteer and very busy outside of these boards. In the future, if more members were interested in seriously developing and maintaining it, it might be an option.

I personally hate the wiki format so I wouldn't have anything to do with it lol ;)

Eh, that's understandable. It's enough work to moderate a forum, let alone a live Wiki. Maybe even if we had a section of the site dedicated to tutorials and have a mod who can monitor submissions and load them up in the appropriate section of the tutorials page. This way the mods wouldn't have to monitor the Wiki as well, just the submissions. Stickies might work, but if we start getting dozens of submissions, then it would get messy. Oh well, food for future thought :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.