• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

powerbook or imac

Reaction score
I have a iMac and was looking at a powerbook, which will run final cut better?

iMac G5 2.1 GHz
1.5 GB Ram
250 GB HD
SUPERDRIVE
____
OR
____

Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz
2 GB Ram
100 GB HD
SUPERDRIVE

Thanks,
EDIT XTREEM!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
EDIT-XTREEM said:
I have a iMac and was looking at a powerbook, which will run final cut better?

iMac G5 2.1 GHz
1.5 GB Ram
250 GB HD
SUPERDRIVE
____
OR
____

Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz
2 GB Ram
100 GB HD
SUPERDRIVE

Thanks,
EDIT XTREEM!

You can check the required specs for Final Cut and see if it requires more processor speed or more RAM.

I'd go with the iMac and just upgrade the RAM to make it run a bit smoother, It has the faster processor and the larger hard drive!

OP
E
Reaction score
tom_hoyle said:
You can check the required specs for Final Cut and see if it requires more processor speed or more RAM.

I'd go with the iMac and just upgrade the RAM to make it run a bit smoother, It has the faster processor and the larger hard drive!
I already have the iMac but was looking at a powerbook on eBay, i just wanted to know if final cut, here are the specs for fina cut studio

System Requirements

Macintosh computer with PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) or PowerPC G5 processor
1GHz or faster processor for HD features
PowerPC G5 processor for authoring HD DVDs or for playback of DVD Studio Pro 4-authored HD DVDs
Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or Mac OS X v10.4.3 or later
Mac OS X version 10.4 or later required to use Image Units and 16- and 32-bit float rendering in Motion
QuickTime 7.0.4 or later
512MB of RAM; 1GB of RAM for HD features (2GB recommended)
Display with 1024-by-768 (or higher) resolution
AGP Quartz Extreme or PCI Express graphics card
Motion requires the standard graphics card in any Power Mac G5, iMac G5, PowerBook G4 (1.25GHz or faster ), or flat-panel iMac (1.25GHz or faster). Get a complete list of recommended graphics cards.

4GB of disk space to install all applications
Additional 42GB to install all optional templates, loops, content, and tutorials (can be installed on separate discs)
DVD drive for installation
DLT drive for replication of DVD Studio Pro 4-authored HD DVDs

EDIT: I wont be burning HD disks or editing hd, i just use a canon zr100 (it is just dv)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I use to edit just fine on the powerbook, but I think that the imac will be faster, or if you want portabliity, the macbook and it will be faster then the imac. or if you are planning on picking this up as a profession, then the powermac is the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
EDIT-XTREEM said:
I already have the iMac but was looking at a powerbook on eBay, i just wanted to know if final cut, here are the specs for fina cut studio

EDIT: I wont be burning HD disks or editing hd, i just use a canon zr100 (it is just dv)

I'd just stick to the iMac. It'll run the program fine.

It seems to me that it'd be a waste of money to buy another computer when yours will do fine.

But I guess it's up to you, you could get the laptop if you travel a lot, I find my iBook really useful for that, I can take my uni work with me wherever I go!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.