Storing and Accessing Data

Reaction score
Hi, i am in the process of building a small app for a charity swim.

It is a very simple app that allows the participants to enter in their training records each day, in the build up to the race day. They will be training for 12 weeks in total, and the app will allow them to enter in the following each day.

01 - DISTANCE
02 - TIME

I am trying to decide if i should get the users to sign up and store their information in a database, OR if i should just allow them to use the app straight away, and then store all of their info within the app.

If i didn't add the Sign Up and database feature, the app data would load quicker etc, however if the person loses their phone, they will have no way to recall the data that they built up within the app.

Can anyone offer any advice on this, should i store to a database or internally? Is there any other pros / cons to either option? Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
How many transactions are we talking about per day for the next 12 weeks.
( Number of participants times number of training sessions )

If the volume is not high, then it might be as simple as the participants sending you an E-mail every day with their results and you enter the results in an Excel spreadsheet. No app. needed.
You can even build some nice graphs using that data .

Cheers ... McBie

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks, the organiser of the event wants to use an app.

The user will most likely enter their data in once a day, maybe 5 times a week

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.