One Wireless Keyboard for Two Devices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro mid-2012 Retina OS X 10.15.7 8 GB memory 500 GB storage
I use an Apple wireless keyboard with my MacBook Pro when I have it connected to a monitor. I am considering purchasing an iPad for its mobile characteristics and anticipate the possibility of using both devices at the same time. It would not seem possible to use the keyboard for each device when they were both on, but how could I use it for either device separately? My thought is that whichever device was on would receive the Bluetooth signal from the keyboard, hence one keyboard for the two devices.

Am I on the right track?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My thought is that whichever device was on would receive the Bluetooth signal from the keyboard, hence one keyboard for the two devices.

Am I on the right track?

The keyboard "pairs" with the device it is used with. You can use one wireless keyboard with two devices…but you have to "pair" the keyboard with the device you want to use it with. So when you pair it with one device…it should become "unpaired" with the other device.

I believe that each device has a unique pairing code.

For example…I have multiple wireless keyboards, multiple wireless mice, and multiple Magic trackpads (let's say at least 6 wireless input devices). If all 6 wireless input devices are close enough to the computer I am using…all 6 wireless input devices will show up in the drop down bluetooth menu. Thus I need to select the proper device from the list (all different codes). Each device can be "named" as well. Which makes distinguishing one device from another easier.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This can be done but can be a bit twitchy in practical use (especially if the devices are in close proximity to each other. Here's one way to implement it. See here for an explanation of the problems that can occur.

I gave up this arrangement and purchased a keyboard designed to be paired with multiple devices. "Switching" devices is as simple as hitting a key on the keyboard. I'm using this Logitech model but I believe there are other options available now. Personally I prefer the feel of the Apple keyboard but this one isn't too bad.

C

chas_m

I use my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard with both my MBP and my iPad all the time. It's not tricky or twitchy -- you just turn BT off on the device you're not using and turn it on the device you are using. Since iOS 7, this is not a big deal.

I do now have a keyboard case for my iPad and an iPad-centric full-size (non Apple) keyboard for the iPad so I don't use the Apple one for the iPad as much as I used to, but I just tested it and it continues to work as expected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.