Java

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
Hello, I am wondering about Java, too. For years I've been reading how insecure it is, and wonder if it ever will be secure, considering all the years of warnings I've read. One of the sites I liked going to relies heavily on it, but one day my Firefox warned me not to go there because of insecurities with Java.

Besides that, I get confused about Java and JavaScript; if my poor old memory has this correct, Java is a program, the other is a programming language. Both names are too similar so I'm sure it causes quite a bit of confusion for others, too. But anyway, I hope Java's security has been improved.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Firefox likely warned you not because of some philosophical or ideological reasons but more likely, it was simply because your Java plug-in was out of date (the same kind of security applies to all plug-ins).

Java is a whole framework that allows people to program a whole host of applications including web, desktop and server based applications. Javascript is a scripting languages for interacting with web content that runs in the web browser (and to an extent, on the desktop).

C

chas_m

and JavaScript has absolutely nothing to do with Java, despite the name.

My position on Java is that you're probably okay as long as you are VERY vigilant about keeping it up to date. Otherwise, avoid it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
Thanks for the advice. I don't remember if the message said Java needed updating, I just remember a warning that it isn't safe. The site I went to is for learning music theory and chords, and has a page with a guitar fret board and chord positions. I remember it was that page that gave the warning. If I can find the site, I'll go there and see exactly what that message says, if it comes up again.

As far as updating goes, I usually make sure to do it, and sometimes I check again to be sure. I'm not sure I even have Java, so I went to the Java site to check my browser; it says it can't verify if it is installed and enabled.

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

I don't have Java because of all the security holes. If I go to some place that requires Java, I just live with the fact that I don't get the functionality, or any access. I'm ok with that. IMHO, Java will NEVER be safe to use because of the number of zero-day exploits already in its history. It wasn't designed with security in mind and reverse engineering in security is very, very, very difficult.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, thanks for the info. All I can say is, wow, after all these years, still no real improvements. It seems like so many of these products are just slapped together and it's a "buyer beware", "Use at your own risk," kinda thing. Just read any Terms of Service, it states very clearly, something about using it "As Is." So, if it's somehow defective, they don't normally take any responsibility for that.

I haven't been back to the page that gave me the warning yet, and I've been afraid to, despite the wonderful service it offers. So far I don't think I have Java installed, it doesn't look like I do. From all I'm reading, it's for the best. We can only hope that maybe someday, things will change.

Thanks again for the input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.