Is it possible to upgrade OS without Apple ID

Reaction score
I have just bought a 2nd hand Macbook Pro. They have reset it to Lion 10.6.8. It was seen working with Yosemite, so I know it can run it ok.

I can see Yosemite in the app store, but the Macbook is a present for someone for christmas, so I don't want to enter my own Apple Id in there (in case apps get tied to my own account). I want to leave that for them to add their own details.

So I'm wondering...

a) Is it possible to update to Yosemite without an Apple ID or
b) Is it possible to use my ID, Update, then remove the ID so its 'fresh' so to speak ?
c) Something else I haven't though of as I'm not so familiar with osx.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
They have reset it to Lion 10.6.8.

Just a technical thing…10.6.8 is Snow Leopard. 10.7 is Lion.:)

As far as the Yosemite upgrade without using an Apple ID (since the computer will be a gift). Here's how I would do it.

- Download Yosemite on your Mac
- Create a bootable Yosemite USB installer flash drive
- Boot the "gift" MacBook with this bootable flash drive
- install Yosemite on the MacBook.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The problem will be updating Yosemite with Security and other updates and any future upgrades. It will be tied to your Apple ID.

C

chas_m

I strongly advise that you leave it at 10.6.8, and let the recipient upgrade it using her own Apple ID. This will save a lot of headaches down the road.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.