I need to grasp a few things

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
Hey guys,

I've been using my shiny new mac since early january now and I've pretty much got it down. I've learnt the commands that I need to know and switched from windows quite quickly and with relative ease.

I do however have 2 queries:

1. How do I 'hide' files on a mac, I've not been able to figure it out. I have a program called Cocktail that I can use to view hidden files easily, I just don't know how to hide them to start with!

2. Is there a 'ctrl+alt+delete' style command? I'm currently running an app (alterpod), it's meant to be backing up my iPod firmware but it doesn't seem to be doing anything, I've also ejected my iPod so it can't be doing anything but it's still running and I can't quit. I've discovered that sometimes there is a 'Force Quit' option but it's not there. I'd just like to be able to close the app really, if it's not possible i'm sure a reboot will sort it!

Thanks, Tom :ninja:

Reaction score
1: Hidden Files on Mac OS X are hidden by the system, so they are system files. There is no obvious way to hide files, or protect folders, either.

Typing Ctrl + Command + Q + Esc together will bring up the force-quit app menu.
You can also jsu right click (control-click) an apps icon in the dock and say "force quit". Or you can call up the activity monitor app and quit the relevant process.

OP
tom_hoyle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yogi said:
1: Hidden Files on Mac OS X are hidden by the system, so they are system files. There is no obvious way to hide files, or protect folders, either.

Typing Ctrl + Command + Q + Esc together will bring up the force-quit app menu.
You can also jsu right click (control-click) an apps icon in the dock and say "force quit". Or you can call up the activity monitor app and quit the relevant process.

Ah, now there's another thing, is the 'command' key the one with the apple and the squiggle thing?

It didn't seem to work as you said it would!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
to bring up the force quit menu click the command one, (with the apple on it) the option one, and the escape button, all at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The actual keyboard shortcut is Command-option-esc. This is the same as choosing "Force Quit..." from the Apple menu.

Reaction score
If you want to hide a file or folder from the Finder, name it with a period as the first character in the name. Not all apps will let you do this, you might need to rename it in the terminal.

That being said, this will NOT keep someone from seeing the file or even opening it. It just wont be obvious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
tom_hoyle said:
Hey guys,

I've been using my shiny new mac since early january now and I've pretty much got it down. I've learnt the commands that I need to know and switched from windows quite quickly and with relative ease.

I do however have 2 queries:

1. How do I 'hide' files on a mac, I've not been able to figure it out. I have a program called Cocktail that I can use to view hidden files easily, I just don't know how to hide them to start with!

2. Is there a 'ctrl+alt+delete' style command? I'm currently running an app (alterpod), it's meant to be backing up my iPod firmware but it doesn't seem to be doing anything, I've also ejected my iPod so it can't be doing anything but it's still running and I can't quit. I've discovered that sometimes there is a 'Force Quit' option but it's not there. I'd just like to be able to close the app really, if it's not possible i'm sure a reboot will sort it!

Thanks, Tom :ninja:
1: Just make the filename start with a period.

2: Option+Command+Escape will take you right to the Force Quit window, allowing you to force quit any application open or force Finder to relaunch. Option as in Alt, not Control.

Reaction score
Man i must have been smoiking or so... funnily, when I did that last night, Front Row came up! Why did that happen!? well, the right combination is Option+Command+Esc, i.e. Alt+Apple+Esc

OP
tom_hoyle
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all, you've been a great help, now I know how to force wuti of an application and I now understand the keyboard a bit better!

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.