• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Cannot import from camcorder

Reaction score
It has been quite a while since I last imported video from my Sony DCR-HC32 (records on tape). In the past I have put the camcorder in the camera Handyman (dock), turned it to PLAY, and in iMovie clicked File > import from camera > select G drive (EHD) and clicked import. Now when I click File > import the choices are greyed out. I tried clicking Import on the video screen (next to DONE) and get this message

"Can't Create Event - The import was canceled. You may not have permission to write to /Volumes/G-DRIVE/iMovie Events.localized/New Event 12-8-14.

Appreciate any suggestions

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Which version of iMovie are you using? Have you tried the "normal" method of connecting the camcorder by using a Firewire?

PS. If I had a £/$ for every person who has had problems importing video from a Sony camcorder, I'd be a rich man. :D

OP
P
Reaction score
Which version of iMovie are you using? Have you tried the "normal" method of connecting the camcorder by using a Firewire?

PS. If I had a £/$ for every person who has had problems importing video from a Sony camcorder, I'd be a rich man. :D

I am at iMovie 9.0.4. My connection is firewire from the camcorder "dock" to my external hard drive and then firewire from the EHD to the iMac (I store my iMovie stuff on the EHD). This has always worked in the past.

Also, I see the camcorder on the Mac screen and can "play" it, rewind, etc from the Mac.

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I agree with MightGem, Sony cameras can be a pain. I have one Sony camera that the firewire connection is bad. I sent it to repair and had them send it back. $800 for a new board was not going to happen.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I am at iMovie 9.0.4. My connection is firewire from the camcorder "dock" to my external hard drive and then firewire from the EHD to the iMac (I store my iMovie stuff on the EHD).
This has always worked in the past.
But not at the moment, which suggests a problem somewhere.

Try connecting the dock to your Mac rather than the external drive.
Try connecting the camcorder direct to your Mac with the Firewire cable. If you have a USB connection for the external drive, you can always tell iMovie to import to there.

Also, I see the camcorder on the Mac screen and can "play" it, rewind, etc from the Mac.
Is that in the iMovie Import window?

OP
P
Reaction score
But not at the moment, which suggests a problem somewhere.

Try connecting the dock to your Mac rather than the external drive.
Try connecting the camcorder direct to your Mac with the Firewire cable. If you have a USB connection for the external drive, you can always tell iMovie to import to there

Tried to import directly to the iMac but the only target destination listed was my EHD. That said, I reverted to the original wiring setup and lo and behold it imported with no problem, just as in the old days. A real mystery but I will take it.

Thanx for all your help

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Video capture gremlins. I am familiar with them. Hateful little guys. ;)

Glad it all is working. :Cool:

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but the only target destination listed was my EHD
But isn't that where you want your iMovie imports?

OP
P
Reaction score
But isn't that where you want your iMovie imports?

That is correct but it was suggested that I try to import to the iMac so I gave it a shot. Whatever the problem it appears to be resolved, at least for now

poppi

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.